TRAUMATIC INJURIES CAUSED BY AIRBAGS
The airbag is a passive life-saving system. In case of car crashes, the airbag inflates in milliseconds, activated by collision sensors and inflates with nitrogen. Since the airbag system became mandatory on automotive industry, the number of injuries associated with it has increased. A study performed by the National Automotive Sampling System (NASS) demonstrated that 66% of passengers suffer skin injuries from airbag. The airbag associated injuries rate is 42% at upper extremities, 41% at the face level, 3% at the neck level, 11% at the chest and abdomen level and 2% at lower extremities level. Though these wounds do not jeopardize the life, about 300000 car passengers suffer airbag related injuries in the USA. In this narrative review paper, we intend to review available literature data regarding airbag related trauma. We want to underline that despite the fact these systems are meant to protect life, they can be harmful or even deadly in certain circumstances. They can induce injuries on a broad range from easy to very dangerous when.
3. Viano DC, Parenteau CS. Difference in dummy responses in matched side impact tests of vehicles with and without side airbags. Traffic Inj Prev. 2016; 17(5): 524-529.
4. Siegel J, Knupfer G, Saukko P (editors). Encyclopedia of forensic sciences, volume I, Accident inves-tigation, Copyright, 2002.
5. Sunnevång C, Sui B, Lindkvist M, Krafft M. Census study of real-life near-side crashes with modern side airbag-equipped vehicles in the United States. Traffic Inj Prev 2015;16(Suppl 1): S117-1124.
6. Cuningham K, Brown T.D, Gradwell E, Nee P.A: Airbag associated fatal injury: case report and review of the literature on airbag injuries. J Accid Emerg Med 2000; 17(2): 139-142.
7. ***USA Today: Air Bag Chronology, Gannett CO. Inc, 2002.
8. Santschi M, Echave V, Laflamme S, McFadden N, Cyr C. Seat beet injuries in children involved in motor vehicle crashes. Canadian Journal of Surgery 2005; 5(48): 373-376.
9. Sato Y, Ohshima T, Kondo T. Air bag injuries - a literature review in consideration of demands in forensic autopsies. Forensic Science International 2002; 128: 162-167.
10. Kuk M, Shkrum MJ. Injury Patterns Sustained in Fatal Motor Vehicle Collisions with Driver's Third-Generation Airbag Deployment. J Forensic Sci 2018; 63(3): 728-734.
11. Afifi I, El-Menyar A, Al-Thani H, Peralta R. Seatbelt versus seatbelt and airbag injuries in a single motor vehicle crash. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2015; 5(1): 46-49.
12. Laurence G, Grim R, Bell T, Carney D, Ahuja V. The impact of seatbelt use and airbag deployment on blunt thoracic aortic injury. Am Surg 2013; 79(11): E335-336.
13. Bloch Byron. A System to Help Ensure Safer Side Impact Protection and Inflatable Airbag Restraint System, Presentation at the NHTSA Public Meeting on Side Impact Airbags: 19th of April 1999.
14. Kuner EH, Schlickewei W, Oltmanns D. Injury reduction by the airbag in accidents. Injury 1996; 27(3): 185-188.
15. Pour-Rouholamin M, Zhou H. Analysis of driver injury severity in wrong-way driving crashes on controlled-access highways. Accid Anal Prev 2016; 94: 80-88.
16. Weng J, Zhu JZ, Yan X, Liu Z. Investigation of work zone crash casualty patterns using association rules. Accid Anal Prev 2016; 92: 43-52.
17. Huff GF, Bagwell SP, Bachman D. Airbag injuries in infants and children: a case report and review of the literature. Pediatrics 1998; 102(1): e2.
18. Joseph B, Hadeed S, Haider AA, Ditillo M, Joseph A, Pandit V, Kulvatunyou N, Tang A, Latifi R, Rhee P. Obesity and trauma mortality: Sizing up the risks in motor vehicle crashes. Obes Res Clin Pract 2017; 11(1): 72-78.
19. Laituri TR, Henry S, Pline K, Li G, Frankstein M, Weerappuli P. New Risk Curves for NHTSA's Brain Injury Criterion (BrIC): Derivations and Assessments. Stappr Car Crash J 2016; 60: 301-362.
20. Kurtz MP, Eswara JR, Vetter JM, Nelson CP, Brandes SB. Blunt Abdominal Trauma from Motor Vehicle Collisions from 2007 to 2011: Renal Injury Probability and Severity in Children versus Adults. J Urol 2017; 197(3 Pt 2): 906-910.
21. Nash NA1, Okoye O, Albuz O, Vogt KN, Karamanos E, Inaba K, Demetriades D. Seat Belt Use and its Effect on Abdominal Trauma: A National Trauma Databank Study. Am Surg 2016; 82(2): 134-139.
22. Zeng C, Hu W, Zhu N, Zhao X, Xu J, Ye S, Xiang Y, Lv L. Right coronary artery dissection and aneurysm presented as acute inferior myocardial infarction from an automobile airbag trauma. Am J Emerg Med 2015; 33(10): 1537. e5-7.
23. Uçar FM, Sen F, Karamanlioğli M, Çağli K. Airbag inflation-related left main coronary artery dissec-tion, localized aortic dissection and aortic valve dehiscence in a patient with previous coronary artery surgery. Int J Cardiol 2014; 173(1): 118-119.
24. Duncan N, Dowd N, Rawluk D, Cunningham AJ. Traumatic bilateral internal carotid artery dissection following airbag deployment in a patient with fibromuscular dysplasia. Br J Anaesth 2000; 85(3): 476-478.
25. Simms C, Van Loocke M, Lyons G. Computational Modelling of the Head and Jow for OOP Frontal Impact Aplications, Cambridge, 2005.
26. Ogun OA, Ikyaa SY, Ogun GO. Rethinking airbag safety: airbag injury causing bilateral blindness. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2014; 21(2): 196-199.
27. Hwang K, Kim JH. Need for airbag and seatbelt to reduce orbital injuries from steering wheel knob. J Craniofac Surg 2014; 25(6): e590-592.
28. Shields RA, Rachitskaya A. Ocular trauma and airbag deployment. JAMA Ophthalmol 2014; 132(10): 1245-1246.
29. Welch JF. Bilateral chemical eye injury resulting from airbag deployment. JR Nav Med Serv 2013; 99(3): 171-173.
30. Duma SM, Jernigan VJ, Stitzel JD, Herring IP, Crowley JS, Fred T, Brozoski MS, Bass CR. The Effect of Frontal Air Bags on eye Injury Patterns in Automobile Crashes. Arch Ophthalmol 2002; 120(11): 1517-1522.
31. Bhavsar A, Chen T, Goldstein D. Corneoscleral laceration associated with passenger-side airbag inflation. Br J Ophthalmol 1997; 81(6): 513.
32. Koisaari T, Leivo T, Sahraravand A, Haavisto AK, Sulander P, Tervo TMT. Airbag deployment-related eye injuries. Traffic Inj Prev 2017; 18(5): 493-499.
33. Lupaşcu C, Lupaşcu C, Grămadă S, Grigoriu C, Scripcaru C. Airbag-ul: consideraţii tehnice, clinico-chirurgicale şi medico-legale. Revista Română de Medicină Legală 2003; XI(3): 208-215.
34. Sznol JA, Koru-Sengul T, Graygo J, Murakhovsky D, Bahouth G, Schulman CI. Etiology of fatal thoracic aortic injuries: Secondary data analysis. Traffic Inj Prev 2016; 17(2): 209-216.
35. Chen R, Gabler HC. Risk of thoracic injury from direct steering wheel impact in frontal crashes. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2014; 76(6): 1441-1446.
36. Syal Abeer, Pilkey Brad. Open fracture of the tibia and fibula caused by airbag: a case report and review of the Literature Regard Lower Extremity Injuries secondary to airbags. The Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery, volume 3, number 1 / http://ispub.com/IJOS/3/1/3812.
37. Corazza M, Trincone S, Zampina RM, Virgili A. Air Bags and the Skin. Skinmed 2004; 3(5): 256-258.
38. Vivek KS, MacGiil KA. Airbag associated burn. Emergency Medicine Australasia 2007; 19: 479-481.
39. Stoel AM, Vanhaecke J, Dezillie M, Oosterlinck D, Stockmans F. Airbag-induced thumb avulsion: two case reports. Hand (N Y) 2015; 10(1): 147-151.
40. Matsushita H, Harada A, Sato T, Kurabayashi T. Fetal intracranial injuries following motor vehicle accidents with airbag deployment. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2014; 40(2): 599-602.
41. Bai Z, Jiang B, Zhu F, Cao L. Optimizing the passenger air bag of an adaptive restraint system for multiple size occupants. Traffic Inj Prev 2014; 15(6): 556-563.
42. Yoganandan N, Pintar F, Humm J, Rudd R. Injuries in Full-Scale Vehicle Side Impact Moving De-formable Barrier and Pole Tests Using Postmortem Human Subjects. Traffic Inj Prev 2015; 16(Suppl 2): S224-230.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form