DEPRESSION AND ZUNG SELF-RATING DEPRESSION SCALE IN PARKINSON’S DISEASE
Patients affected by Parkinson’s disease (PD) experience many non-motor symptoms, including depression. Depression has a negative impact on everyday activities and quality of life. Still, depression is underrecognized and undertreated overall. Among the instruments used to investigate depression in PD, Zung Self-Rating Depression Scale (ZSRDS) is a widely-used questionnaire for screening depressive symptoms and for measuring progress following treatment. In this article, we review the literature concerning depression associated with PD, paying specific attention to ZSRDS as a tool that investigates depression to guide treatment decisions.
2. Maiti P, Manna J, Dunbar GL. Current understanding of the molecular mechanisms in Parkinson's disease: Targets for potential treatments. Transl Neurodegener 2017; 6: 28.
3. Rang HP, Ritter JM, Flower RJ, Henderson G. Neurodegenerative diseases. In Hyde M. (Ed): Rang and Dale’s Pharmacology, Eighth Edition. UK: Elsevier, 2016, 491-495.
4. Suarez-Cedeno G, Suescun J, Schiess MC. Earlier Intervention with Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease. Parkinsons Dis 2017; 2017: 9358153.
5. Al Shahrani M, Heales S, Hargreaves I, Orford M. Oxidative Stress: Mechanistic Insights into Inherited Mitochondrial Disorders and Parkinson's Disease. J Clin Med 2017; 6(11): pii: E100.
6. Fontoura JL, Baptista C, Pedroso FB, Pochapski JA, Miyoshi E, Ferro MM. Depression in Parkinson's Disease: The Contribution from Animal Studies. Parkinsons Dis 2017; 2017: 9124160.
7. Mullins N, Lewis CM. Genetics of Depression: Progress at Last. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2017; 19(8): 43.
8. O’Donnell JM, Shelton RC. Drug Therapy of Depression and Anxiety Disorders. In Brunton LL, Chabner BA, Knollmann BC, (Eds): Goodman&Gillman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Twelfth Edition. USA: Mc Graw Hill Medical, 2011, 397-416.
9. Havelund JF, Heegaard NHH, Færgeman NJK. Gramsbergen JB, Biomarker Research in Parkinson's Disease Using Metabolite Profiling. Metabolites 2017; 7(3): E42.
10. Teter CJ, Kando JC, Wells BG. Major Depressive Disorder. In DiPiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM. (Ed): Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 9th edition. USA: McGraw Hill Medical, 2014, 1047-1066.
11. Marsh L. Depression and Parkinson's disease: current knowledge. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2013; 13(12): 409.
12. Egan SJ, Laidlaw K, Starkstein S. Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Depression and Anxiety in Parkinson's Disease. J Parkinsons Dis 2015; 5(3): 443-451.
13. Szatmari S, Illigens BM, Siepmann T, Pinter A, Takats A, Bereczki D. Neuropsychiatric symptoms in untreated Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2017; 13: 815-826.
14. Shulman LM, Taback RL, Rabinstein AA, Weiner WJ. Non-recognition of depression and other non-motor symptoms in Parkin-son’s disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2002; 8(3): 193-197.
15. Wu P-L, Lee M, Huang T-T. Effectiveness of physical activity on patients with depression and Parkinson's disease: A systematic review. PLoS ONE 2017; 12(7): e0181515.
16. Santiago JA, Bottero V, Potashkin JA. Biological and Clinical Implications of Comorbidities in Parkinson's Disease. Front Aging Neurosci 2017; 9: 394.
17. Goodarzi Z, Mele B, Guo S, Hanson H, Jette N, Patten S, et al. Guidelines for dementia or Parkinson's disease with depression or anxiety: a systematic review. BMC Neurol 2016; 16(1): 244.
18. Schneiderhan ME, Nelson LA, Munro S. Evaluation of Psychiatric Illness. In DiPiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM. (Ed): Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 8th edition. USA: McGraw Hill Medical, 2011, 1077-1085.
19. Ma L, Demin KA, Kolesnikova TO, Kharsko SL, Zhu X, Yuan X et al. Animal inflammation-based models of depression and their application to drug discovery. Expert Opin Drug Discov 2017; 12(10): 995-1009.
20. Costa FH, Rosso AL, Maultasch H, Nicaretta DH, Vincent MB. Depression in Parkinson's disease: diagnosis and treatment. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2012; 70(8): 617-20.
22. Zung WW. A Self-Rating Depression Scale. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1965; 12: 63-70.
23. Mourady D, Richa S, Karam R, Papazian T, Hajj Moussa F, El Osta N et al., Associations between quality of life, physical activity, worry, depression and insomnia: A cross-sectional designed study in healthy pregnant women. PLoS ONE 2017; 12(5): e0178181.
24. Dunstan DA, Scott N, Todd AK. Screening for anxiety and depression: reassessing the utility of the Zung scales. BMC Psychiatry 2017; 17(1): 329.
25. Stania B, Marinescu I, Glavan D, Stania I, Udristoiu I. Unipolar depression and somatic comorbidities in an outpatient popula-tion. Romanian Journal of Psychopharmacology 2016; 16: 23-31.
26. Schrag A, Barone P, Brown RG, Leentjens AF, McDonald WM, Starkstein S et al. Depression rating scales in Parkinson's disease: critique and recommendations. Mov Disord 2007; 22(8): 1077-1092.
27. Miwa H, Miwa T. Fatigue in patients with Parkinson's disease: impact on quality of life. Intern Med 2011; 50(15): 1553-1558.
28. Yasui N, Sekiguchi K, Hamaguchi H, Kanda F. The effect of pramipexole on depressive symptoms in Parkinson's disease. Kobe J Med Sci 2011; 56(5): E214-219.
29. Wang Y, Liu H, Du XD, Zhang Y, Yin G, Zhang BS et al. Association of low serum BDNF with depression in patients with Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2017; 41: 73-78.
30. Chagas MH, Tumas V, Loureiro SR, Hallak JE, Trzesniak C, de Sousa JP, et al. Validity of a Brazilian version of the Zung self-rating depression scale for screening of depression in patients with Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2010; 16(1): 42-45.
31. Sisu R, Popescu A, Turcu-Stiolica A, Bogdan M. Depression assessment in patients diagnosted with Parkinson’s disease for clinical practice. Value in Health 2017; 20(9): A715
32. Mrochen A, Marxreiter F, Kohl Z, Schlachetzki J, Renner B, Schenk T et al. From sweet to sweat: Hedonic olfactory range is impaired in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2016; 22: 9-14.
33. Suzuki K, Miyamoto M, Miyamoto T, Okuma Y, Hattori N, Kamei S et al. Correlation between depressive symptoms and noc-turnal disturbances in Japanese patients with Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism. Relat Disord 2009; 15(1): 15-19.
34. Smith MC, Ellgring H, Oertel WH. Sleep disturbances in Parkinson's disease patients and spouses. J Am Geriatr Soc 1997; 45(2): 194-199.
35. Rektorová I, Rektor I, Bares M, Dostál V, Ehler E, Fanfrdlová Z et al. Pramipexole and pergolide in the treatment of depression in Parkinson's disease: a national multicentre prospective randomized study. Eur J Neurol 2003; 10(4): 399-406.
36. Yasui N, Sekiguchi K, Hamaguchi H, Kanda F. The effect of pramipexole on depressive symptoms in Parkinson's disease. Kobe J Med Sci 2011; 56(5): E214-219.
37. Przuntek H, Welzel D, Gerlach M, Blümner E, Danielczyk W, Kaiser HJ et al. Early institution of bromocriptine in Parkinson's disease inhibits the emergence of levodopa-associated motor side effects. Long-term results of the PRADO study. J Neural Transm (Vienna) 1996; 103(6): 699-715.
38. Przuntek H, Welzel D, Blümner E, Danielczyk W, Letzel H, Kaiser HJ et al. Bromocriptine lessens the incidence of mortality in L-dopa-treated parkinsonian patients: prado-study discontinued. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1992; 43(4): 357-363.
39. Chagas MH, Tumas V, Rodrigues GR, Machado-de-Sousa JP, Filho AS, Hallak JE et al. Validation and internal consistency of Patient Health Questionnaire-9 for major depression in Parkinson's disease. Age Ageing 2013; 42(5): 645-649.
40. Turcu-Stiolica A, Taerel AE, Turcu-Stiolica R. Identifying and measuring compliance and adherence in antidepressants taking. Procedia Economics and Finance 2014; 15: 836-839.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form