FOCUS ON QUALITY OF LIFE AND COSTS IN PATIENTS WITH IRON DEFICIENCY AND HEART FAILURE
Chronic heart failure is an important health problem worldwide. Despite the reduction in mortality associated with the newest medical and interventional treatments, the quality of life remains an important concern for patients as well for doctors. Aim: to quantify the quality of life and the financial burden in patients with heart failure and iron deficiency. Material and methods: Patients with heart failure and iron deficiency were included in the study. Personal medical data were collected, and the patients completed the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire (KCCQ), which is a validated questionnaire for anemia associated with heart failure. The financial costs of hospital admission were evaluated. Results: A statistically significant moderate direct correlation between calcium channel blockers treatment and the scores in KCCQ was found. Also, a statistically significant, indirect correlation was shown between anticoagulant treatment and quality of life. As to the financial burden, the average cost per admission was 3,641.75 RON ± 1,881.32 RON (783.17 euro ± 404.58 euro). Conclusions: Anticoagulant treatment in patients with heart failure and iron deficiency was associated with reduced quality of life. Calcium channel blockers were associated with improvement of the quality of life in this category of patients.
2. Mehta PA, Dubrey SW, McIntyre HF, Walker DM, Hardman SM, Sutton GC, et al. Improving sur-vival in the 6 months after diagnosis of heart failure in the past decade: population-based data from the UK. Heart 2009; 95: 1851-1856.
3. Juenger J, Schellberg D, Kraemer S, Haunstetter A, Zugck C, Herzog W et al. Health related quality of life in patients with congestive heart failure: comparison with other chronic diseases and relation to functional variables. Heart 2002; 87: 235-241.
4. Gutzwiller FS, Pfeil AM, Comin-Colet J, Ponikowski P, Filippatos G, Mori C et al. Determinants of quality of life of patients with heart failure and iron deficiency treated with ferric carboxymaltose: FAIR-HF sub-analysis. International Journal of Cardiology 2013; 168: 3878-3883.
5. Stewart S. Financial aspects of heart failure programs of care. Eur J Heart Fail 2005; 7: 423-428.
6. Tran DT, Ohinmaa A, Thanh NX, Howlett JG, Ezekowitz JA, McAlister FA et al. The current and future financial burden of hospital admissions for heart failure in Canada: a cost analysis. CMAJ Open 2016; 4: E365-E370.
7. Fitzsimons S, Doughty RN. Iron deficiency in patients with heart failure. European Heart Journal Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy 2015; 1: 58-64.
8. Brownlie TT, Utermohlen V, Hinton PS, Haas JD. Tissue iron deficiency without anemia impairs adaptation in endurance capacity after aerobic training in previously untrained women. Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 79: 437-443.
9. Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JG, Coats AJ et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). European Heart Journal 2016; 37: 2129-2200.
10. Spertus JA, Jones PG, Kim J, Globe D. Validity, reliability, and responsiveness of the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire in anemic heart failure patients. Qual Life Res 2008; 17: 291-298.
11. Leonetti G, Comerio G, Cuspidi C. Evaluating quality of life in hypertensive patients. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1994; 23 (Suppl 5): S54-58.
12. Comín-Colet J, Enjuanes C, González G, Torrens A, Cladellas M, Meroño O et al. Iron deficiency is a key determinant of health-related quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure regardLess of anaemia status. Eur J Heart Fail 2013; 15: 1164-1172.
13. Jankowska EA, Von Haehling S, Anker SD, Macdougall IC, Ponikowski P. Iron deficiency and heart failure: diagnostic dilemmas and therapeutic perspectives. European Heart Journal 2013; 34: 816-826.
14. Almeida Gde Q, Noblat Lde A, Passos LC, do Nascimento HF. Quality of life analysis of patients in chronic use of oral anticoagulant: an observational study. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2011; 9: 91.
15. Dobre D, de Jongste MJ, Haaijer-Ruskamp FM, Sanderman R, van Veldhuisen DJ, Ranchor AV. The enigma of quality of life in patients with heart failure. Int J Cardiol 2008; 125: 407-409.
16. Wong M, Tavazzi L. Effect of drug therapy for heart failure on quality of life. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2004; 6: 256-261.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form