UNILATERAL OPTIC NEURITIS ASSOCIATED WITH INFLUENZA IN ADULT. CASE REPORT
): The term optic neuritis refers to inflammation of the optic nerve due to many causes, characterized by subacute unilateral loss of vision, periocular pain and impaired color vision. Optic neuritis can be caused by idiopathic inflammatory demyelination, autoimmune diseases, infectious causes (bacterial, viral, fungal), tumors or ischemic diseases. A few cases of optic neuritis caused by inﬂuenza infection have been reported. We report the case of a 51-year-old woman that came to our clinic complaining of a sudden decrease in visual acuity following an episode of flu. The fundus of her left eye showed optic nerve edema. Based on the medical history, fundus appearance, optical coherence tomography, visual field and laboratory investigations (magnetic resonance imaging, blood tests), the diagnosis of optic neuritis associated with influenza was made.
2. Menon V, Saxena R, Misra R, Phuljhele S. Management of optic neuritis. Indian J Ophthalmol 2011; 59(2): 117-122.
3. Foroozan R, Buono LM, Savino PJ, Sergott RC. Acute demyelinating optic neuritis. Curr Opin Oph-thalmol 2002; 13(6): 375-380.
4. Voss E, Raab P, Trebst C, Stangel M. Clinical approach to optic neuritis: pitfalls, red flags and differ-ential diagnosis. The Adv Neurol Disord 2011; 4(2): 123-134.
5. Shams PN, Plant GT. Optic neuritis: a review. Int MS J 2009; 16(3): 82-89.
6. Golnik KC. Infectious optic neuropathy. Semin Ophthalmol 2002; 17(1): 11-17.
7. Vianello FA, Osnaghi S, Laicini EA, et al. Optic neuritis associated with inﬂuenza B virus menin-goencephalitis. J Clin Virol 2014; 61(3): 463-465.
8. Nakamura Y, Ikeda K, Yoshii Y, et al. Inﬂuenza-associated monophasic neuromyelitisoptica. Intern Med 2011; 50(15): 1605-1609.
9. Lai CC, Chang YS, Li ML, Chang CM, Huang FC, Tseng SH. Acute anterior uveitis and optic neuritis as ocular complications of inﬂuenza A infection in an 11-year-old boy. J Ped Ophthalmol Strab 2011; 48 Online: e30-e33.
10. Nakagawa H, Noma H, Kotake O, Motohashi R, Yasuda K, Shimura M. optic neuritis and acute anterior uveitis associated with inﬂuenza A infection: a case report. Intern Med Case Rep J 2017; 10: 1-5.
11. Trip SA, Schlottmann PG, Jones SJ. Optic nerve atrophy and retinal nerve fiber layer thinning follow-ing optic neuritis: evidence that axonal loss is a substrate of MRI detected atrophy. Neuro Image 2006; 31(1): 286-293.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form