THE ROLE OF THE MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEW IN TREATMENT ACCEPTANCE. CASE REPORT
Treatment acceptance and subsequently treatment adherence represent the most difficult aspects of medical treatment. This is the reason why it requires the use of tools from psychotherapy and communication sciences, but also a new approach to the relationship per se. Thus, the use of the motivational interview together with the change in the perspective of the therapeutic relationship, namely the patient-centered approach from the psychosocial perspective, proved to be effective ways to overcome this obstacle. This article focuses on the case of a 45-year-old patient suffering from psoriasis since he was 30. He followed all the therapeutic steps indicated by the therapeutic protocols, reaching the critical moment of disease evolution, when the only effective therapeutic indication was biological agent therapy. Considering the adverse effects of this class of drugs, the patient exhibits a period of ambivalence before accepting therapy.
2. Alexa ID, Pancu AG, Moroşanu AI, Ghiciuc CM, Lupuşoru C, Prada GI, Cepoi V, The impact of self-medication with NSAIDS / analgesics in a North-Eastern region of Romania. Farmacia 2014; 62(6): 1164-1170.
3. Hall A, Ferreira PH, Maher CG, Latimer J, Ferreira ML, The influence of thetherapist-patient rela-tionship on treatment outcome in physical rehabilitation: a systematic review. PhysTher 2010; 90(8): 1099-1110.
4. Lupu VV, Ignat A, Paduraru G, Ciubara A, Moscalu M, Marginean CO, Burlea M. Correlation be-tween the different pH-metry scores in gastroesophageal reflux disease in children. Medicine 2016; 96(26): 18-22.
5. Iliescu-Bulgaru D, Costea G, Scripcaru A, Ciubara A. Homicide and alcoholic consumption. A medico-legal and psychiatric interdisciplinary approach. Multivariate analysis. Rom J Legal Med 2015; 23(2): 137-142.
6. Hinganu D, Hinganu MV, Bulimar V, Andronic D. Correlation Criteria Between Extramural Invasion of Blood Vessels and Immunohistochemical Markers in the Processes of Neovasculogenesis. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2018; 69(2): 371-374.
7. Bolos A, Ciubara AM, Chirita R. Moral and ethical aspects of the relationship between depression and suicide, Rev Rom Bioetica 2012; 10(3); 71-79.
8. Alexa ID, Ilie CA, Morosanu A, Papaioannou Emmanouil Stamos, Ismo Räihä. Self-neglect in elders: a worldwide issue ignored in Romania. Rev Rom Bioetica 2012; 10(1): 141-148.
9. Barello S, Graffigna G, Vegni E, Bosio AC. The challenges of conceptualizing patient engagement in health care: a lexicographic literature review. J Particip Med 2014; 6(11): e9.
10. Lupu, VV Ignat A, Ciubotariu G, Ciubara A, Moscalu M, Burlea M. Helicobacter pylori infection and gastroesophageal reflux in children. Dis Esophagus 2016; 29(8): 1007-1012.
11. Ciubara A, Chirita R, Burlea LS, Lupu VV, Mihai C, Moisa SM, Untu I. Psychosocial particularities of violent acts in personality disorders. Rev. Cerc. Interve Soc 2016; 52: 265-272.
12. Cepoi V, Alexa ID, Ilie CA, Alexa O, Ethical dilemmas in treating elderly patients at risk of poly-pragmasy and polypharmacy. Rev Rom Bioetica 2014; 12(3): 12-18.
13. Hauateiner-Wiehle C, Schaefert R. Therapeutic relationship and communications. Attitude towards patients with functional pain syndromes. Zeitschriftfṻr Gerontol. Geriat 2014; 47(2): 165-173.
14. Ivbijaro G, Goldberg D, Bodily Distress Syndrome (BDS): the evolution from medically unexplained symptoms (MUS). Mental Health Fam Med 2013; 10(2): 63-64.
15. Maddux EJ, Winstead AB, Psychopathology foundations for a contemporary understanding. Fourth ed, Routledge Taylor&Francis Group New York and London, 2016, Chap. Somatic symptom and related disorder, 291-295.
16. Lupu VV, Ignat A, Paduraru G, Ciubara A, Ioniuc I, Ciubara AB, Gheonea C, Burlea M. The study of effects regarding ingestion of corosives ubstances in children. Rev. Chimie (Bucharest) 2016; 67(12): 2501-2503.
17. Miller WR, Rollnick S. Interviul motivational-pregatirea pentru schimbare. Ag Nat Antidrog 2005; 3-136: 265-288.
18. Nunez J, Ventura T et al. What do patients with medically unexplained symptoms (MUPS) think? A qualitative study. Mental Health Fam Med 2013; 10(2): 67-79.
19. Fava GA, Porcelli P, Rafanelli C, Mangelli L, Grandi S. The spectrum of anxiety disorders in the medically ill. J Clin Psich 2010; 71(7): 910-914.
20. Hildering PH, Collard R, Rosmalen JG, OudeVoshaar RC. How does ageing affect the impact of medically unexplained symptoms and medically explained symptoms on health- related quality of life? Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2015; 30(7): 737-743.
21. Scutariu MM, Ciurcanu OE, Agop Forna D, Forna NC. Importance of dental maxillofacial aesthetics in dental therapy. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2016; 120(4): 926-931.
22. Rotariu C, Costin H, Alexa ID, et al: E-Health System for Medical Tele surveillance of Chronic Pa-tients. Int J Comput Comm Control 2010; 5(5): 900-909.
23. Costin H, Rotariu C, Morancea O et al. Complex Telemonitoring of Patients and Elderly People for Telemedical and Homecare Services. Proc of the 1st WSEAS International Conference on Biomedical Electronics and Biomedical Informatics. BookSeries: Recent Advances in Biology and Biomedicine 2008, 183.
24. Rosendal M, Carlsen AH, Rask MT, Mӫth G. Symptoms as a main problem in primary care: A cross-sectional study of frequency and characteristics. Scandi J Primary Health Care 2015; 33(2): 91-99.
25. Hinganu MV, Cozma RS, Ciochina P, Scutariu IA, Asimionoaiei-Simionescu C, Hinganu D. The morphometry of the laryngeal phonatory system-base of the anatomical study of the voice aptitudes. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2017; 58(4): 1365-1369.
26. Riahi F, Izadi-mazidi M, Khajeddin N et all., Investigation of Mental Health in Patients with Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms, Iranian J Psychiatry 2016; 11(1): 24-29.
27. Chisholm A, Nelson PA,2, Pearce CJ, Littlewood AJ, Kane K, Henry AL, Thorneloe R, Hamilton MP, Lavallee J, Lunt M, Griffiths CE1, Cordingley L, Bundy C; Identification and Management of Psoriasis-Associated Comorbidity (IMPACT) Team, Motivational interviewing-based training en-hances clinicians' skills and knowledge in psoriasis: findings from the PsoWell® study. Br J Dermatol 2017; 176(3): 677-686.
28. Larsen H.M, Wahl A.K., Krogstad A-L, Eline AAS, Cost-utility Analysis of Supported Self-management with Motivational Interviewing for Patients with Psoriasis. Clin Rep, Acta Derm Venereol 2016; 96: 664-668;
29. Scutariu MM, Surdu A, Macovei G. Contributions to recognition of some particularities of the lingual mucosa conditions. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2015; 119(4): 1147-1152.
30. Eline Aas, Klopstad WA, Hamilton LM, Krogstad AL, Eide H. Psoriasis and Climate Therapy (com-pleted). The study is in cooperation with Section for Climate therapy, Oslo University Hospital, Pub-lished Mar. 27, 2011. Last modified Oct. 31, 2017.
31. Linden A, Butterworth SW, Prochaska JO. Motivational interviewing-based health coaching as a chronic care intervention. J Eval Clin Pract 2010; 16(1): 166-174.
32. Jarrett ME, Cain KC, Burr RL, Hertig VL, Rosen SN, Heitkemper MM. Comprehensive Self-Management for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Randomized Trial of In-Person vs. Combined In- Person and Telephone Sessions. Am. J. Gastroenterol 2009; 104(12): 3004-3014.
33. Given CW, Bradley C, You M, Sikorskii A, Given B. Costs of Novel Symptom Management Inter-ventions and Their Impact on Hospitalizations. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2010; 39(4): 663-672.
34. Latchford G. Using motivational interviewing to improve medicines adherence. The Pharm J 2016; 296: 7889.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form