ACTIVE DETECTION OF FRAILTY IN THE ROMANIAN ELDERLY POPULATION - THE GFI QUESTIONNAIRE METHOD
ACTIVE DETECTION OF FRAILTY IN THE ROMANIAN ELDERLY POPULATION - THE GFI QUESTIONNAIRE METHOD (Abstract): The notion of frailty has gradually gained hold in medical discourse through the identification of an elderly population at risk of death or of events affecting their autonomy. This state of vulnerability is a central feature of old age, a new concept in medicine, leading to decreased quality of life, dependency and death. Aim: To identify frailty score and factors involved in elderly patients through the Romanian version of the Groningen fragility indicator (GFI) questionnaire among the independently living elderly in Romania. Material and methods: Observational study which included 100 persons aged 65 to 74 years, randomly selected from primary care practices in Romania in the interval March-April 2017. Results: A moderate to severe degree of frailty was identified in the study cases (mean score 4.08). The mean frailty score was significantly higher at the age of 70 years old compared to age group 60-69 (4.58 vs. 3.58, p = 0.036). The study showed that frailty score was increased by the following comorbidities: stroke, COPD, chronic urinary infection, cataracts. Conclusions: Frailty score can be easily determined in primary care practices, leading to an early identification of the elderly requiring geriatric assessment and treatment.
2. Olaroiu M., Ghinescu M., Naumov V., Brinza I., van den Heuvel W. The psychometric qualities of the Groningen Frailty Indicator in Romanian community-dwelling old citizens. Family Practice 2014; 31(4): 490–495.
3. Ghinescu M, Olaroiu M, van Dijk JP, Olaeanu T, van den Heuvel WJA. Health status of independent-living old in Romania. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2014; 14(4): 926-933.
4. Metzelthin SF, Daniëls R, van Rossum E, de Witte L, van den Heuvel WJ, Kempen GI. The psycho-metric properties of three self-report screening instruments for identifying frail older people in the community. BMC Public Health 2010; 10: 176-183.
5. Daniels R, van Rossum E, Beurskens A, van den Heuvel W, de Witte L. The predictive validity of three self-report screening instruments for identifying frail older people in the community. BMC Public Health 2012; 12: 69-75.
6. Drubbel I, Bleijenberg N, Kranenburg G, et al. Identifying frailty: do the Frailty Index and Groningen Frailty Indicator cover different clinical perspectives? a cross-sectional study. BMC Fam Pract 2013; 14: 64-71.
7. Peters LL, Boter H, Buskens E, Slaets JP. Measurement properties of the Groningen Frailty Indicator in home-dwelling and institutionalized elderly people. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2012; 13: 546-551.
8. Pîslaru AI, Ilie AC, Pancu AG, Sandu IA, Alexa ID. Detection and prevention of frailty in inde-pendently living pre-elderly and elderly in northeastern Romania. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2016; 120(4): 909-914.
9. Wong CH, Weiss D, Sourial N, Karunananthan S, Quail JM, Wolfson C, Bergman H. Frailty and its association with disability and comorbidity in a community-dwelling sample of seniors in Montreal: a cross-sectional study. Aging Clin Exp Res 2010; 22(1): 54-62.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form