MULTIFACTORIAL ETIOLOGY OF LOWER LIMB EDEMA IN ELDERLY PATIENT WITH HEART FAILURE. CASE REPORT
MULTIFACTORIAL ETIOLOGY OF LOWER LIMB EDEMA IN ELDERLY PATIENT WITH HEART FAILURE (Abstract): Aging population and increasing life expectancy has led to an exponential increase in the incidence of heart failure. In the elderly patient with heart failure lower limb edema is most commonly considered in the context of decompensated heart disease, causes such as malnutrition, kidney and liver disease or secondary drug effects being rarer. We report two cases of edema of noncardiac origin. In the first case, kidney damage was identified, edema resulting from hypoproteinemia and proteinuria, and in the second case it had an iatrogenic cause, namely the adverse effect of dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker. In the latter case, investigations centered on the assessment of body composition revealed the tendency to dehydration vs. hyperhydration, which led to a different therapeutic approach compared to the general tendency to administer per primam a diuretic treatment. The elderly patient with comorbidities that associate heart failure and lower limb edema requires careful investigations of the possible alternative causes.
2. Thaler HW, Pienaar S, Wirnsberger G, Roller-Wirnsberger RE. Bilateral leg edema in an older woman. Zeitschrift fur Gerontol Geriatr 2013, 1-3.
3. Clark A, Clelanj J. Causes and treatment of oedema in patients with heart failure. Nature 2013; 10: 156-170.
4. Scholler DA, Achilles A, Manekas D et al. Segmental Bioimpedance for Measuring Amlodipine-Induced Pedal Edema: A Placebo-Controlled Study. Clin Therap 2012; 34(3): 580-592.
5. Alexa ID, Pancu AG, Moroşanu AI et al. The impact of self-medication with NSAIDS/ analgesics in a North-Eastern region of Romania. Farmacia 2014; 62(6): 1164-1170.
6. Samala RV, Navas V, Saluke E. Heart failure in frail, older patients: We can do MORE. Cleveland Clin J Med 2011; 78(12): 837-845.
7. De Freitas EV, Batlouni M, Gamarsky R. Heart failure in the eldery. J Geriatr Cardiol 2012; 9(2): 101-107.
8. Ely JW, Osheroff JA, Chambliss LM. Approach to Leg Edema of Unclear Etiology. J Amer Board Fam Med 2006; 19(2):148-160.
9. Pîslaru AI, Ilie AC, Pancu AG, Sandu IA, Alexa ID. Detection and prevention of frailty in inde-pendently living pre-elderly and elderly in Northeastern Romania. Med Surg J-Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iaşi 2016; 120(4): 909-914.
10. Crăcană IM, Ștefăniu R, Mocanu V, Alexa ID. New developments in the approach and diagnosis of sarcopenia. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2016; 120(3): 491-495.
11. Hitoshi Y, Hitoshi S, Hiroshi S. Renal disease in the eldery and the very elderly Japanese: analysis of the Japan Renal Biopsy Registry (J-RBR). Clin Experim Nephrol 2012; 16: 903-920.
12. Lazzarini V, Mentz RJ, Fiuzat M, et al. Heart failure in elderly patients: distinctive features and unre-solved issues. Europ J Heart Fail 2013; 15: 717-723.
13. Richard JG. An Update on Glomerular Disease in the Eldery. Clin Geriatr Med 2013; 29: 579-591.
14. Scholler DA, Achilles A, Manekas D, et al. Segmental Bioimpedance for Measuring Amlodipine-Induced Pedal Edema: A Placebo-Controlled Study. Clin Therap 2012; 34(3): 580-592.
15. Fukazawa R, Koyama S, Kanetaka H, et al. Leg edema detected on comprehensive geriatric assessment for eldery outpatients and its associated risk factors. Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi. 2013; 50(3): 384-391.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form