PYRIDINE-DERIVED SCHIFF BASE-ANALYTICAL REAGENT FOR IRON (II) IONS
PYRIDINE-DERIVED SCHIFF BASE-ANALYTICAL REAGENT FOR IRON (II) IONS (Abstract): Aim: Development of a new spectrophotometric method for quantitative determination of Fe (II) ions in pharmaceutical products based on the complexation reaction of the cations with an original Schiff base-2-salicylidene-aminopyridine, when a red complex, extractable in chloroform, with a maximum absorption at 525 nm has formed. Material and methods: A UV-VIS Hewlett-Packard 8453 Spectrophotometer has been used for all determinations. The optimum working conditions of the complexation reaction have been established by studying the influence of pH, ionic strength, and combining ratio on the complexation reaction. Results: The calibration curve had been plotted, and the detection limit was determined (LD=1 mg). The proposed method has a good linearity in the 5-50 μg/mL range with a correlation coefficient r = 0.9946. The stability constant and the molar extinction coefficient were calculated (e = 4.16·104 mol-1·L·cm-1). The cation-ligand ratio was 1:2. The complexation reaction of Fe (II) ions with the Schiff base had no cation interferers, not even Fe (III) ions. Conclusions: The proposed method has been applied for the determination of Fe (II) in pharmaceutical products with very good results.
2. Apostu M, Tantaru G, Vieriu M, Panainte ADP, Bibire N, Agoroaei L. Evaluation of In Vitro Reducing Effect of Several Vegetable Extracts on the Digestive Bioavailability of Heavy Metals. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2017; 68(4): 683-686.
3. Alcantara O, Oheid L, Hannun Y, Ponka P, Boldt DH. Regulation of protein kinase C (PKC) expres-sion by iron. Blood 1994; 84(10): 3510-3517.
4. Gower JD, Ambrose IJ, Maru KS, Babbin PS, Hider RC. The effect of a synthetic hexadentate iron chelator (CP 130) and desferrioxamine. Agents Actions 1993; 40(1-2): 96-105.
5. Steporo I, Konovalova NV, Solodunov AA, Tyshchenko AS. Nonenzymatic covalent modification of human hemoglobin by pyridoxal 5' phosphate under the effect of visible light. Molec Biolog 1993; 27(4): 790-797.
6. Vasquez Segura MA, Donoso J, Munoz F, Echenarria G. Photophysical study of the Schiff base of 5'-deoxypyridoxal and n-hexylamine in cationic micelles. Photochem Photobiol 1994; 60(5): 399-404.
7. Paracchi A, Bettati S, Mozzareli A, Rossi GL, Dunn F. Allosteric regulation of tryptophan synthase: effects of pH, temperature, and alpha subunit ligands on the equilibrium distribution of pyridoxal 5' phosphate-L-serine intermediates. Biochem 1996; 35(6): 1872-1880.
8. Wenguang L, Meixiang W. Electrical and magnetic properties of conjugated Schiff base polymers. Int J Chem Kinet 1996; 28(9): 657-664.
9. Tantaru G, Dorneanu V, Stan M. Schiff bis bases: analytical reagents. II. Spectrophotometric deter-mination of manganese from pharmaceutical forms. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002; 27: 827-832.
10. Cascaval Al. Patent RO 106403/27-I-1996.
11. Tantaru G, Popescu MC, Bild V, Poiata A, Lisa G, Vasile C. Spectroscopic, thermal and antimicrobial properties of the copper (II) complex of Schiff base derived from 2‐(salicylidene) aminopyridine. Appl Organomet Chem 2012; 26(7): 356-361.
12. Tantaru G, Vieriu M, Apostu M, Stan M. Combinatii complexe ale Cr (III) cu liganzi de tip bis baze Schiff. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2007; 111(2, suppl. 2): 399-403.
13. Temereck MJ, Amed AZ. The micro-analytical determination of these metals. Bull Soc Chim Belg 1980; 89: 15-24.
14. Gherman S, Zavastin D, Spac A, Dorneanu V. Spectrophotometric Determination of Enalapril Using Tropeolin 00. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2013; 64(11): 1224-1228.
15. Mandrescu M, Spac AF, Dorneanu V. Spectrophotometric Determination of Meloxicam. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2009; 60(2): 160-163.
16. Bosînceanu A, Popa G, Ṭântaru G, Popovici I. Visible Spectrophotometric Method for Amiodarone. Med Surg J - Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2012; 116(1): 330-335.
17. Oprean R, Rozet E, Dewé W, Boulanger B, Hubert P. Ghid de validare a procedurilor analitice cantitative. Editura Medicală Universitară “Iuliu Haţieganu” Cluj Napoca, 2007.
18. Roman L, Bojiţă M, Săndulescu R, Muntean DL. Validarea metodelor analitice. Editura Medicală, Bucuresti, 2007.
19. ***Farmacopeea Română. Editia a X-a. Bucureşti: Editura Medicală, 1993.
20. ***US EPA Guidance for methods development and methods validation for the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Program. Washington, 1995.
21. ***International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) of Technical Requirements for the Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use-Q2 (R1). Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology. Geneva, 2005.
22. Balcerzak M, Tyburska A, Oewiecicka-Fuchsel E. Selective determination of Fe (III) in Fe (II) samples by UV-spectrophotometry with the aid of quercetin and morin. Acta Pharm 2008; 58: 327-334.
23. Verschoor M, Molot L. A comparison of three colorimetric methods of ferrous and total reactive iron measurement in freshwaters. Limnol Oceanogr Methods 2013; 11: 113-125.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form