MANAGEMENT OF MALIGNANT THYROGLOSSAL DUCT CYSTS, A RARE CLINICAL ENTITY IN CERVICAL TUMOR PATHOLOGY
Thyroglossal duct cyst is a congenital malformation that occurs at cervical level following an embryonic developmental defect. The authors undertook a retrospective study on 143 patients diagnosed with malignant thyroglossal duct cyst in the ENT Clinic of “Sf. Spiridon” County Clinical Emergency Hospital Iasi, between 1992 and 2016 and only 2 cases came out as malignant thyroid gland cyst. This confirms the rarity of this type of lesion, consistent with the data presented in the literature. We present the case of a 51-year-old male case, hospitalized in the ENT Clinic of “Sf. Spiridon” County Clinical Emergency Hospital Iasi, treated by surgical excision of the thyroid gland cyst, performed by using the Sistrunk method. The post-operative histopathological examination of the thyroid gland cyst detected the malignancy. Conclusions: The oncology committee of the hospital decided to complete the therapeutic protocol by total thyroidectomy, bilateral neck dissection, radioiodine administration, followed by thyroid hormone replacement. Regular follow-up showed a favorable outcome without complications and no tumoral recurrence at 5 years.
2. Josephson GD, Spencer WR, Josephson JS. Thyroglossal duct cyst: the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary experience and a literature review. Ear Nose Throat J 1998; 77(8): 642-644, 646-647, 651.
3. Langman J. Medical embryology. 4th ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1981: 280-281.
4. Dedivitis RA, Camargo DL, Peixoto GL, Weissman L, Guimaraes AV. Thyroglossal duct: A review of 55 cases. J Am Coll Surg 2002; 194: 274- 277.
5. Ali M, Abussa A, Hashmi H. Papillary thyroid carcinoma formation in a thyroglossal cyst. A case report. Libyan Journal of Medicine 2007; 2 (3): 148-149.
6. Nir Hirshoren, The imperative of Sistrunk operation: Review of 160 thyroglossal tract remnant operations. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2009; 140: 338-342.
7. Pelausa ME, Forte V. Sistrunk revisited: a 10-year review of revision thyroglossal duct surgery at Toronto`s Hospital for sick Children. J Otolaryngology 1989; 18: 325-333.
8. Neamtu D, Cotulbea S, Marin AH, Lupescu S, Balica N, Ruja A, et al. Thyroglossal Duct Cysts and Fistulae. J Exp Med Surg Res 2010; 3: 210-214.
9. Koch BL. Cystic malformations of the neck in children. Pediatr Radiol. 2005; 35(5): 463-477.
10. McGuirt WF, Marshall RB: Postirradiation carcinoma in a thyroglossal duct remnant: Follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Head and Neck Surg 1980; 2: 420-424.
11. Postolica R, Iorga M, Petrariu FD, Azoicai D. Cognitive-Behavioral Coping, Illness Perception, and Family Adaptability in Oncological Patients with a Family History of Cancer. BioMed Re-search International Volume 2017, Article ID 8104397, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8104397.
12. Sistrunk WE. The surgical treatment of cysts of the thyroglossal tract. Ann Surg 1920; 71: 121-122.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form