MULTI-STAGED ENDOVASCULAR SOLUTION FOR A COMPLEX, GIANT VERTEBRAL-BASILAR JUNCTION ANEURYSM
We present a very particular case of a complex vertebral-basilar junction aneurysm in a 34-year-old male patient. The patient benefited from a multi-stage endovascular treatment with a good neurological result at 12 months follow-up. Following an intricate history and a complex diagnosis process, we describe the therapeutic challenges and the steps taken in securing the aneurysm and dealing with the complicated hemodynamic architecture of the aneurysm and vertebral-basilar complex as well as the critical neurological evolution during the multi-staged process. Our case brings a new perspective to a rare and very difficult pathology and contributes to an increasing pool of data regarding the clinical management and the therapeutic options in this type of vascular lesions.
2. Kim BM, Kim DJ, & Kim DI. Stent application for the treatment of cerebral aneurysms. Neurointer-vention 2011; 6(2): 53-70.
3. Krischek Ö, Miloslavski E, Fischer S, Shrivastava S, Henkes H. A comparison offunctional and phys-ical properties of self-expanding intracranial stents (Neuroform 3, Wingspan, Solitaire, LEO (+), En-terprise). Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery 2011; 54(01): 21-28.
4. Lubicz B, Leclerc X, Gauvrit JY, Lejeune JP, Pruvo JP. Giant vertebrobasilar aneurysms: endovascular treatment and long-term follow-up. Neurosurgery 2004; 55(2): 316-323.
5. Pumar, JM, Arias-Rivas S, Rodríguez-Yáñez M, Blanco M, Ageitos M, Vazquez-Herrero F, Masso, A. Using Leo Plus stent as flow diverter and endoluminal remodeling in endovascular treatment of in-tracranial fusiform aneurysms. J Neurointerv Surg 2013; 5(Suppl 3): 22-27.
6. Peluso JP, van Rooij WJ, Sluzewski M, Beute GN. Aneurysms of the vertebrobasilar junction: inci-dence, clinical presentation, and outcome of endovascular treatment. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2007; 28(9): 1747-1751.
7. Zhao S, Liu XC, Gu L. The impact of wire stent fabrication technique on the performance of stent placement. Journal of Medical Devices 2012; 6(1): 1-4.
8. Tang AYS, Chan HN, Tsang ACO, Leung GKK, Leung KM, Yu ACH, Chow KW. The effects of stent porosity on the endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms located near a bifurcation. J. Biomedical Science and Engineering 2013; 6: 812-822.
9. Saliou G, Sacho RH, Power S, Kostynskyy A, Willinsky RA, Tymianski M, terBrugge KG, Sapna Rawal, Timo Krings. Natural History and Management of Basilar Trunk Artery Aneurysms Stroke 2015; 46(4): 948-953.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form