EMBRYO SELECTION ON MORPHOKINETIC CRITERIA THROUGH TIME-LAPSE TECHNOLOGY ALONG WITH PREIMPLANTATION GENETIC TESTING (PGT) IN A COUPLE WITH RECURRENT PREGNANCY LOSS. CASE REPORT
In this paper we present the case of a couple with a history of recurrent pregnancy failure in the first trimester, a balanced Robertsonian translocation (45,XY,der(13;14)(q10;q10)) being identified in the male karyotype. The couple was referred to genetic counseling and underwent an in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle associated with preimplantation genetic testing. The embryos were cultured in a time-lapse system and the morphokinetic parameters were assessed daily. From the five embryos which were appropriate from embryo biopsy and freezing, only one embryo was genetically suitable for embryo transfer. The frozen embryo transfer resulted in a pregnancy and successful birth of a female baby. In the era of human assisted reproduction, state of the art biotechnologies such as time-lapse embryo monitoring and PGT should be used in synergy in order to complement the overall picture and enhance the process of decision making in the quest of obtaining a healthy offspring.
2. Hardy K, Hardy PJ. 1st trimester miscarriage: four decades of study. Transl Pediat 2015; 4(2): 189-200. doi:10.3978/j. issn.2224-4336.2015.03.05
3. Choi BH, Kim UH, Lee KS, KoCW. Various endocrine disorders in children with t(13;14)(q10;q10) Robertsonian translocation. Ann Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2013; 18(3): 111-115.
4. Kar B, Sivamani S, Kundavi S, Varma TR. The importance of cytogenetics and associated molecular techniques in the management of patients carrying robertsonian translocation and their pregnancy outcome by intracytoplasmic sperm injection. J Obstet Gynaecol India 2018; 68(2): 93-97.
5. Basile N, Nogales M, Mdel C, Bronet F, Florensa M, Riqueiros M, Rodrigo L, et al. Increasing the
probability of selecting chromosomally normal embryos by time-lapse morphokinetics analysis. Fertil Steril 2014; 101: 699-704. (doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2013.12.005)
6. Zidi-Jrah I, Hajlaoui A, Mougou-Zerelli S, Kammoun M, Meniaoui I, Sallem A, et al.. Relationship between sperm aneuploidy, sperm DNA integrity, chromatin packaging, traditional semen parameters, and recurrent pregnancy loss. Fert Steril 2016; 105(1): 58-64.
7. Moraru E, Diaconu R, Anton E, Bozomitu I, Anton C, Ciobica Al, et al. Understanding the relevance of pain, depression and anxiety-like manifestations in the management of cystic fibrosis. Arch Bio Sci 2015; 67(3): 895-897.
8. ***The ESHRE Guideline Group on RPL, Atik RB, Christiansen OB, Elson J, Kolte AM, Lewis S et al.ESHRE guideline: recurrent pregnancy loss. Human Reprod Open, 2018, 2, (doi.org/10.1093/hropen/hoy004).
9. Ikuma S, Sato T, Sugiura-Ogasawara M, Nagayoshi M, Tanaka A, Takeda S. Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosisand Natural Conception: A Comparison of Live Birth Rates in Patients with Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Associated with Translocation. PlosOne, 2015, doi.org/10.1371/ journal. pone.0129958
10. Wong C, Chen AA, Behr B, Shen S. Time-lapse microscopy and image analysis in basic and clinical embryo development research. Reprod Biomed Online 2013; 26(2): 120-129.
11. Simionescu G, Maftei R, Anton E, Valeanu S, Doroftei B. Time-Lapse Microscopy Role in Improving The Outcome Of IVF/ICSI Cycles By Monitoring And Selection Of Early Embryo. Management Intercultural 2016; XVIII (37): 345-349.
12. Rubio I, Galán A, Larreategui Z, Ayerdi F, Bellver J, Herrero J, et al. Clinical validation of embryo culture and selection by morphokinetic analysis: a randomized, controlled trial of the EmbryoScope. Fertil Steril 2014; 102: 1287-1294.
13. Campbell A, Fishel S, Bowman N, Duffy S, Sedler M, Thornton S. Retrospective analysis of outcomes after IVF using an aneuploidy risk model derived from time-lapse imaging without PGS. Reprod BioMed Online 2013a; 27 140-146. (doi.org/10.1016/j.rbmo.2013.04.013)
14. Chawla M, Fakih M, Shunnar A, Bayram A, Hellani A, Perumal V, et al. Morphokinetic analysis of cleavage stage embryos and its relationship to aneuploidy in a retrospective time-lapse imaging study. J Assist Reprod Genet 2015;32, 69–75. (doi.org/10.1007/s10815-014-0372-3)
15. Del Carmen Nogales M, Bronet F, Basile N, Martínez EM, Liñán A, Rodrigo L, et al. Type of chro-mosome abnormality affects embryo morphology dynamics. Fertil Steril 2017; 107 229–235 (doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.09.019)
16. Yang Z, Zhang J, Salem SA, Liu X, Kuang Y, Salem RD, et al. Selection of competent blastocysts for transfer by combining time-lapse monitoring and array CGH testing for patients undergoing preim-plantation genetic screening: a prospective study with sibling oocytes. BMC Medical Genomics 2014; 7, 38 (doi.org/10.1186/1755-8794-7-38)
17. Patel DV, Shah PB, Kotdawala AP, Herrero J, Rubio I, Banker MR. Morphokinetic behavior of eu-ploid and aneuploid embryos analyzed by time-lapse in embryoscope. J Hum Reprod Sci 2016; 9, 112-118 (doi.org/10.4103/0974-1208.183511)
18. Pribenszky C, Nilselid AM, Montag M. Time-lapse culture with morphokinetic embryoselection improves pregnancy and live birth chances and reduces early pregnancy loss: a meta-analysis. Reprod BioMed Online 2017; 35, 5; 511-520
19. Griffin DK and Ogru C. Chromosomal analysis in IVF: just how useful is it? Reprod 2018; 156, 1, 29-50 (doi.org/10.1530/REP-17-0683)
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form