THE EVALUATION OF SOME ANTIBACTERIAL DRUGS INFLUENCE ON EXPERIMENTAL-INDUCED ACUTE INFLAMMATION IN RATS
In present study we aimed to investigate the effects of some antibiotics on carrageenan-induced rat paw inflammation. Material and methods: The experiment was performed on white male Wistar rats, randomly distributed into 7 groups of 6 rats each. The animals were treated intraperitoneally with saline solution, prednisone (PDN), indomethacin (IND); cefotaxime (CEF), gentamicin (GEN) and sulfamethoxazole (SMT), 30 minutes before carrageenan sub-plantar injection. Control group contains rats with intra-paw injection of saline. Prednisone and indomethacin were administered in a single daily injection, and the antibiotics every 12 hours, for 3 days. The paw volume was assessed plethysmographycally before, and 1, 3, 6, 24 and 72 hours after the administration of carrageenan. We studied the effects of the tested antibiotics in acute inflammation, by evaluating their influence on leukocyte formula, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and fibrinogen levels, before and at 3, 24 and 72 hours in the study. Experimental protocol was implemented according our University Committee for Research and Ethical Issues guidelines. Results: The treatment with CEF, GEN, SMT was associated by an important suppression of the edema development, in all time moments of the investigation, but less intense than those of PDN and IND. Conclusions: CEF manifested the most potent anti-inflammatory activity, compared to GEN and SMT at 3 hours and 6 hours in this acute of paw`s inflammation test.
2. Serra MB, Barroso WA, da Silva NN, et al. From inflammation to current and alternative therapies involved in wound healing, Int J Inflam 2017: 3406215.
3. Medzhitov R. Origin and physiological roles of inflammation. Nature 2008; 454(7203): 428-435.
4. Berk M, Williams LJ, Jacka FN, et al. So, depression is an inflammatory disease, but where does the inflammation come from? BMC Med 2013; 11, 200: 1-16.
5. Serhan CH. Novel lipid mediators and resolution mechanisms in acute inflammation: to resolve or not? Am J Pathol 2010; 177(4): 1576-1591.
6. Serhan CN. Controlling the resolution of acute inflammation: a new genus of dual anti-inflammatory and proresolving mediators. J Periodontol 2008; 79(8 Suppl): 1520-1526.
7. Necas J, Bartosikova L, Carrageenan: a review, Vet Med-Czech 2013; 58(4): 187-205.
8. Oniga I, Parvu AE, Toiu A, Benedec D. Effects of Salvia officinalis L. extract on experimental acute inflammation, Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2007; 111(1): 290-294.
9. Dejidmaa B, Uuganbayar B, Erdenechimeg Ch, Chimedragchaa Ch, Munkhzul G. The anti-inflammatory effect of Gardi patch in carrageenan-induced paw edema of rats. PMAS 2017; 5704(224): 50-54.
10. Cheluvappa R, Scowen P, Eri R, Ethics of animal research in human disease remediation, its institu-tional teaching; and alternatives to animal experimentation. Pharmacol Res Perspect 2017; 5(4): e00332.
11. Goodman J, Chandna A, Roe K. Trends in animal use at US research facilities. J Med Ethics 2015; 41(7): 567-569.
12. Annamalai P, Thangam EB, Local and systemic profiles of inflammatory cytokines in carrageenan-induced paw inflammation in rats. Immunol Invest 2017; 46(3): 274-283.
13. Fehrenbacher JC, Vasko MR, Duarte DB. Models of inflammation: Carrageenan - or complete Freund's Adjuvant (CFA)-induced edema and hypersensitivity in the rat. Curr Protoc Pharmacol 2012; Chapter 5(Unit 5.4): 1-11.
14. Cong HH, Khaziakhmetova VN, Zigashina LE. Rat paw edema modeling and NSAIDs: Timing of effects. Int J Risk Saf Med 2015: 27(Suppl 1): S76-S77.
15. Tartau L, Mungiu OC. Analgezice antipiretice şi antiinflamatoare nesteroidiene-Ghid practice. Iasi: Editura EditDAN, 2007.
16. Benedec D, Pârvu AE, Oniga I, Toiu A, Tiperciuc B. Effects of Ocimum basilicum L. extract on experimental acute inflammation. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2007; 111(4): 1065-1069.
17. Tudor M, Cuciureanu M, Cuciureanu R, Slencu BG. Experimental evaluation of the action of ethephon and sodium selenite on some hematological parameters in rats, Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2017; 121(4): 806-814.
18. Abbas AB, Lichtman AH. Innate Immunity. In: Basic Immunology. Functions and disorders of the immune system (3rd edition), Elsevier, 2009.
19. Eckhardt A, Müller P, Hiller KA, et al. Influence of TEGDMA on the mammalian cell cycle in com-parison with chemotherapeutic agents. Dent Mater 2010; 26(3): 232-241.
20. Bles P, de Mast Q, van der Gaast-de Jongh CE, et al. Antibiotic resistance of Streptococcus pneu-moniae colonizing the nasopharynx of HIV-exposed Tanzanian infants. Trop Med Int Health 2015; https://doi.org/10.1111/tmi. 12582.
21. Shah M, Garg G, Dadachova E. Preclinical testing of radiopharmaceuticals for novel applications in HIV, bacterial and fungal infectious diseases. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2015; 59(3): 317-326.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form