PHYTOCHEMICAL PROFILE AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF VERBASCUM BLATTARIA L.
Aim: The HPLC-ESI-Q-TOF-MS phytochemical profile and in vitro antioxidant activity of extracts obtained from the aerial parts of Verbascum blattaria were investigated. Material and methods: Phytochemical screening was performed by a hyphenated LC-MS technique, whereas total phenolic content was assessed by Folin-Ciocalteu method. Antioxidant activity was evaluated using four different in vitro tests: hydroxyl and DPPH radicals scavenging, ferrous ion chelating and ferric ion reducing assays. Results and discussion: A total of 17 secondary metabolites (carboxylic acids, flavonoids, iridoids, phenylethanoids and saponins) were identified in V. blattaria extracts. Among the four samples, n-butanol extract was the most potent scavenger of the hydroxyl and DPPH radicals, with EC50 values of 224.14 and 591.67 µg/mL, respectively. Additionally, the same extract exhibited an EC50 of 193.51 µg/mL in the ferric ion reducing assay. Conclusions: The current work allowed concluding that n-butanol extract of V. blattaria is the most promising in relation to antioxidant potential; the in vivo significance of its antioxidant effects needs to be further evaluated.
2. Georgiev M, Alipieva K, Orhan I, Abrashev R, Denev P, Angelova M. Antioxidant and cholinestarases inhibitory activities of Verbascum xanthophoeniceum Griseb. and its phenylethanoid glycosides. Food Chem 2011; 128: 100-105.
3. Dimitrova P, Alipieva K, Grozdanova T, et al. New iridoids from Verbascum nobile and their effect on lectin-induced T cell activation and proliferation. Food Chem Toxicol 2018; 111: 605-615.
4. Grabias B, Swiatek L. Iridoid glucosides in Verbascum genus. Herba Pol 1987; 33: 225-232.
5. Youn IS, Han AR, Rob MS, Seo EK. Constituents of the leaves of Verbascum blattaria. Nat Prod Commun 2015; 10: 445-446.
6. Singleton VL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Viticult 1965; 16: 144-158.
7. Ozsoy N, Can A, Yanardag R, Akev N. Antioxidant activity of Smilax excelsa L. leaf extracts. Food Chem 2008; 110: 571‐583.
8. Aprotosoaie AC, Mihai CT, Voichita G, et al. Antigenotoxic and antioxidant activities of a polyphenolic extract from European Dracocephalum moldavica L. Ind Crops Prod 2016; 79: 248‐257.
9. Cretu E, Trifan A, Aprotosoaie AC, Miron A. 15‐Lipoxygenase inhibition, superoxide and hydroxyl radicals scavenging activities of Cedrus brevifolia bark extracts. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2013; 117: 250‐256.
10. Luca VS, Stan AM, Trifan A, Miron A, Aprotosoaie AC. Catechins profile, caffeine content and antioxidant activity of Camellia sinensis teas commercialized in Romania. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2016; 120: 457-463.
11. Luca SV, Miron A, Aprotosoaie AC, et al. HPLC-DAD-ESI-Q-TOF-MS/MS profiling of Verbascum ovalifolium Donn ex Sims and evaluation of its antioxidant and cytogenotoxic activities. Phytochem Anal 2018; doi: 10.1002/pca.2788.
12. ***METLIN: The original and most comprehensive MS/MS metabolite database. https://metlin.scripps.edu/landing_page.
13. Mihailovic V, Kreft S, Benkovic ET, Ivanovic N, Stankovic MS. Chemical profile, antioxidant activity and stability in stimulated gastrointestinal tract model system of three Verbascum species. Ind Crops Prod 2016; 89: 141-151.
14. Karamian R, Ghasemlou F. Total phenolic content, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of three Verbascum species from Iran. J Med Plant By-Prod 2013; 1: 43-51.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form