NEW ORIGINAL IN VITRO METHOD TO ASSESS CHOLINESTERASE REACTIVITY IN ORGANOPHOSPHATE POISONING
Assessment of organophosphate poisoning
could benefit from a safe, non-expensive, easy to perform, quick (< 1 hour) test,
which evaluates the level of cholinesterase activity in vitro regarding to the capability of
oximes to reactivate OF-blocked cholinesterase. In the proposed protocol, 0.5 mL of sample
serum is incubated, prior to the evaluation of level of cholinesterase activity, with 5 mL of a
Toxogonin® dilution (0.125 mg) for 30 minutes at 37°C. For the standardization of the newly
proposed protocol, several important issues were documented in the present article. The new
original method of assessing cholinesterase reactivability will consist in an advantage for the
diagnosis, prognostic evaluation and therapeutic orientation in OF intoxication.
organophosphate poisoning. J Prev Med 2003; 11: 86.
2. Naik RS, Doctor BP, Saxena A. Comparison of methods used for the determination of cholinesterase
activity in whole blood. Chem-Biol Interact 2008; 175: 298-302.
3. Petriº O, Grãdinariu F. Guiding atropine treatment only by monitoring bronchial secretion - a good
attitude in organophosphorates poisons? Eur Resp J 2003; 22 (suppl. 45): 266s.
4. Antonijevic B, Stojiljkovic Milos P. Unequal efficacy of pyridinium oximes in acute organophosphate
poisoning. Clin Med & Res 2007; 5: 71-82.
5. Moss DW, Henderson AR, Kachman JF. Enzymes. In: Tietz NW editor. Textbook of Clinical
Chemistry. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1986, 746-751.
6. Worek F, Szinicz L, Eyer P, Thiermann H. Evaluation of oxime efficacy in nerve agent poisoning:
development of a kinetic-based dynamic model. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2005; 209: 193-202.
7. Clark RF. Insecticides: organic phosphorus compounds and carbamates. In: Goldfrank LR,
Flomenbaum NE, Lewin NA, Howland MA, Hoffman RS, Nelson LS editors. Goldfranks
Toxicological Emergencies. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002, 1346-1360.
8. Kassa J, Karasova J, Musilek K, Kuca K. An evaluation of therapeutic and reactivating effects of
newly developed oximes (K156, K203) and commonly used oximes (obidoxime, trimedoxime, HI-
6) in tabun-poisoned rats and mice. Toxicol 2008; 243: 311-316.
9. Richter RJ, Jarvik GP, Furlong CE. Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) status and substrate hydrolysis.
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2009; 235: 1-9.
10. Petriº O, Grãdinariu F, Hurjui J, Frasin M, Bologa C, Lionte C. Aging of cholinesterase in
organophosphates poisoning a paraclinical detectable phenomenon? Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat
Iasi 2003; 107 (supl.): 199202.
11. Champe PC, Harvey RA. Lippincotts Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry. Philadelphia: J.B.
Lippincott Company, 1987.
12. ***College of American Pathologists. Clinical Laboratory Handbook for Patient Preparation and
Specimen Handling. Fascicle VI: Chemistry/Clinical Microscopy. Northfield, IL, 1992.
13. Trundle D, Marcial G. Detection of cholinesterase inhibition. Ann Clin Lab Sci 1988; 5: 345-352.
14. Young DS. Effects of Drugs on Clinical Laboratory Tests. Washington, DC: AACC Press, 1990.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form