GHRELIN AND ANG 1-7 HAVE VASODILATATORY CUMULATIVE EFFECTS ON PULMONARY VESSELS
Ghrelin is an orexigenic hormone that has been shown
to have vasodilator effects. Angiotensin 1-7 (Ang 1-7) is a bioactive component of the
renin-angiotensin system and may play an important role in the regulation of cardiovascular
homeostasis. Aim: The aim of this study was to investigate the interaction between ghrelin
and a better known vasodilatator, Ang 1-7. Material and method: The dose dependent
relaxing effects of ghrelin were assesed on pulmonary artery rings of male Wistar rats with
intact endothelium in the absence or the presence of Ang 1-7. Ang 1-7 was added in the organ
bath with 5 minutes before NG-nitro L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME, 1 µM) and indomethacin
administration in the presence of cumulative doses of ghrelin. Results: Our results
showed that Ang 1-7 could improve and restore vasorelaxant effects of ghrelin on rat pulmonary
rings with intact endothelium. Conclusion: Vasodilatatory actions of ghrelin are potentiated by
Ang 1-7 and mediated by local synthesis of prostaglandins and nitric oxide.
-hormone-releasing acylated peptide from stomach. Nature 1999; 402 (6762): 656-660.
2. Howard AD, Feighner SD, Cully DF et al. A receptor in pituitary and hypothalamus that functions
in growth hormone release. Science 1996; 273 (5277): 974-977.
3. Kirchner H, Tong J, Tschöp MH, Pfluger PT. Ghrelin and PYY in the regulation of energy balance and
metabolism: lessons from mouse mutants. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2010; 298 (5): E909-919.
4. Isgaard J, Johansson I. Ghrelin and GHS on cardiovascular applications/functions. J Endocrinol
Invest 2005; 28 (9): 838-842.
5. Benter IF, Diz DI, Ferrario CM. Cardiovascular actions of angiotensin (1-7). Peptides 1993; 14
6. Simonsen U, Wadsworth RM, Buus NH, Mulvany MJ. In vitro simultaneous measurements of relaxation
and nitric oxide concentration in rat superior mesenteric artery. J Physiol 1999; 516 (Pt 1): 271-282.
7. Okumura H, Nagaya N, Enomoto M, Nakagawa E, Oya H, Kangawa K. Vasodilatory effect of
ghrelin, an endogenous peptide from the stomach. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2002; 39 (6): 779-783.
8. Nagaya N, Uematsu M, Kojima M et al. Chronic administration of ghrelin improves left ventricular
dysfunction and attenuates development of cardiac cachexia in rats with heart failure. Circulation
2001; 104 (12): 1430-1435.
9. Gurzu B, Costuleanu M, Slãtineanu SM, Ciobanu A, Petrescu Gh. Are multiple angiotensin
receptor types involved in angiotensin (1-7) actions on isolated rat portal vein. J Renin Angiotensin
Aldosterone Syst 2005; 6 (2): 90-95.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form