MEASUREMENT OF TOTAL ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY WITH CHLORPROMAZINE RADICAL CATION
In the present study there is described a simple and sensitive
method for the evaluation of antioxidant activity in chlorpromazine-Fe (III) system using
ascorbic acid as standard. Material and method: Chlorpromazine [2-chloro-N-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-
phenothiazine] is oxidized in acidic media by Fe (III) with the formation of a
stable radical cation characterized by an intense visible absorbtion band (l = 540 nm). The
optimum parameters for the stability of the radical cation have been studied: molar ratio
chlorpromazine-Fe (III), pH, solvents. Spectrophotometric methods have been used in these
studies. Results: The chlorpromazine radical cation is stable in the acidic media (pH = 3) at
a molar ratio chlorpromazine:Fe (III) of 2:1. Ascorbic acid reduces these radicals and induces
a decrease of absorbance. Percent inhibition was calculated and plotted as a function of the
concentration of standard antioxidant solutions. The results show that percent inhibition varies
in a linear manner with the ascorbic acid concentration. Percent inhibition is higher when the
antioxidant solution is added after generation of radical cation. Conclusions: It has been
developed a method for evaluating antioxidant activity in the chlorpromazine:Fe (III) system
using ascorbic acid as a standard. The method is fast, simple and sensitive; it can be applied
for the detection and evaluation of the antioxidant activity of simple or complex systems.
antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospects. J Assoc Physicians India
2004; 52: 794-804.
2. Flora SJ. Role of free radicals and antioxidants in health and disease. Cell Mol Biol 2007; 53 (1): 1-2.
3. Aruoma IO. Free radicals, oxidative stress and antioxidants in human health and diseases. J Am Oil Chem Soc 1998; 75 (2): 199-212.
4. Sun AY, Chen YM. Oxidative stress and neurodegenerative disorders. J Biomed Sci 1998; 5: 401-414.
5. Clarke MW, Burnett JR, Croft KD. Vitamin E in human health and disease. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci
2008; 45 (5): 417-450.
6. Udenigwe CC, Ramprasath VR, Aluko RE, Jones PY. Potential of resveratrol in anti-cancer and
anti-inflammatory therapy. Nutr Rev 2008; 66 (8): 445-454.
7. Fernandez-Panchon MS, Villano D, Troncoso AM, Garcia-Parrilla MC. Antioxidant activity of
phenolic compounds: from in vitro results to in vivo evidence. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2008; 48
8. Littarrn GP, Tiano L.Bioenergetic and antioxidant properties of coenzyme Q10: recent developments.
Mol Biotechnol 2007; 37 (1): 31-37.
9. Lorgeril M, Salen P. Selenium and antioxidant defenses as major mediators in the development of
chronic heart failure. Heart Fail Rev 2006; 11 (1): 13-17.
10. Rohn S, Kroh LW. Electron spin-resonance-a spectroscopic method for determining the antioxidative
activity. Mol Nutr Food Res 2005; 49 (10): 898-907.
11. Niederlander HA, van Beek TA, Bartasinte A, Koleva II. Antioxidant activity assays on-line with
liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 2008; 1210 (2): 121-134.
12. Gorjanovic SZ, Novakovic MM, Potkonjak NI, Suznjevic DZ. Antioxidant activity of wines
determined by a polarographic assay based on hydrogen peroxide scavenge. J Agric Food Chem
2010; 58 (8): 4626-4631.
13. Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying
an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 1999; 26: 1231-1237.
14. Koleva II, Niederlander HA, van Beek TA. Application of ABTS radical cation for selective on-line
detection of radical scavengers in HPLC. Anal Chem 2001; 73: 3373-3381.
15. Joshi R, Ghanty T, Mukherjee T. Reactions and structural investigation of chlorpromazine radical
cation. J Mol Struct 2008; 188 (1-3): 401-408.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form