MYOFUNCTIONAL TREATMENT OF OPEN BITE IN A PATIENT WHO SUFFERED FROM RECURRENT LINGUAL HAMARTOMA. CASE REPORT
Hamartomas are defined as an overgrowth of improper proportions of tissues indigenous to the anatomic area of occurrence. Hamartomas may occur in any organ of the body and are common in the spleen, liver, kidneys, lungs and pancreas. However, hamartomas of the tongue are extremely rare. The present article aims to present the progress of orthodontic treatment for open bite following tongue enlargement due to recurrent hamartoma in a healthy 7-year-old girl. Multidisciplinary periodontal, pedodontological, and then orthodontic treatment was planned. The patient received a myofunctional device to correct the position of the tongue and to control open frontal occlusion during the eruption of permanent teeth. After 6 months, the patient was reassessed and the maxilla expansion, occlusal status and tongue interposition were improved.
2. Ramirez-Yañez GO, Guarimdos AJ. A case report: Combining Functional and Fixed Appliances to Improve Results in Open Bite Treatment. Funct Orthod 2007; 24(2): 4-9.
3. Freitas da Silva DM, Fernandes IA, Wu A, Neville BW. Oral Leiomyomatous Hamartoma of the Anterior Maxillary Gingiva. Clin Adv Periodontics 2016; 6(4): 190-194.
4. Patil S, Rao RS, Majumdar B. Hamartomas of the oral cavity. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2015; 5(5): 347-353.
5. ALQahtani D, Qannam A. Oral leiomyomatous hamartoma of the median maxillary gingiva: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Surg Pathol 2013; 21(4): 413-416.
6. Ramirez-Yañez GO, Faria P. Early treatment of a Class II, division 2 malocclusion with the Trainer for Kids (T4K): a case report. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2008; 32(4): 325-329.
7. Owen AH. Morphologic changes in the transverse dimension using the Frankel appliance. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1983; 83: 200-217.
8. Gibbs SL, Hunt NP. Functional appliances and arch width. Br J Orthod 1992; 19: 117-125.
9. Quadrelli C, Ghiglione V, Marchetti C. Relationships between posture, dysfunctions of the soft tissues of the stomatognathic apparatus, respiration and occlusion in early treatment of skeletal Class II. Paper presented at: Congress Occlusion and Posture; New Trendsand New Problems ; June 2001; Milan, Italy.
10. Quadrelli C, Gheorgiu M, Marchetti C, Ghiglione V. Approccio miofunzionale precoce nelle II Classi scheletriche. Mondo Ortod 2002; 2: 109-122.
11. Keski-Nisula K, Hernesniemi R, Heiskanen M, Keski-Nisula L, Varrela J. Orthodontic intervention in the early mixed dentition: a prospective, controlled study on the effects of the eruption guidance ap-pliance. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008; 133(2): 254-260.
12. Ramirez-Yañez G, Sidlauskas A, Junior E, Fluter J. Dimensional changes in dental arches after treat-ment with a prefabricated functional appliance. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2007; 31(4): 279-283.
13. Sergl HG, Klages U, Zentner A. Pain and discomfort during orthodontic treatment: causative factors and effects on compliance. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998; 114(6): 684-691.
14. Doll GM, Zentner A, Klages U, Sergl HG. Relationship between patient discomfort, appliance ac-ceptance and compliance in orthodontic therapy. J Orofac Orthop 2000;61(6): 398-413.
15. Feştilă D, Ghergie M, Muntean A, Serbănescu A. The influence of functional therapy on facial and dental structures. Case presentation. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2014; 118(1): 209-212.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form