DEPRESSION OF THE ELDERLY PATIENTS: FOCUS ON A SINGLE CENTER STUDY
Elderly patients may deny the existence of depressive symptoms due to the social disapproval of the diagnostic, as well as the difficulty of expressing the need for help regarding psychiatric symptoms. The aim of this study is to underline the importance of early diagnosis of depressive syndrome in the elderly patient and the clinical approaches. Material and methods: the criteria for inclusion in the study was represented by the patients over 65 years of age, diagnosed with depressive disorder, according with the criteria of ICD10, single episode or recurrent ones. Results: we included 77 patients and we evaluated the risk factors such as female sex, urban area of provenance, somatic comorbidities. Conclusions: Patients with onset of the depressive disorder over the age of 65 years old had a weaker response to treatment, an increased risk of progression to dementia and a higher rate of early mortality. In this context, the need for prophylaxis, as well as effective treatment, is crucial, using individualized therapies to the patient's needs.
2. Tudorache B. Date statistice şi epidemiologice în depresie. Liga Română pentru Sănătate Mintală. 2008.
4. Baldwin RC. Depression in Later Life. Second Edition. Oxford Psychiatry Library, 2014.
5. Rooda J, Boyce N, Walker Z. The Old Age Psychiatry Handbook. A practical guide. John Wiley Sons Ltd, 2008.
6. Untu I, Bolos A, Radu DA. et al. Particularities of Suicidal Behavior in Depressive Spectrum. Rev Cercet Interv Soc 2019; 65: 149-162.
7. Blazer DG. Depression in late life: review and commentary. Am J of Psychiatry 2003;58(3): 249-265.
8. Buckman JEJ., Underwood A., Clarke K. et al. Risk factors for relapse and recurrence of depression in adults and how they operate: A four-phase systematic review and meta-synthesis. Clin Psychol Rev 2018; 64: 13‐38.
9. Blazer DG. Psychiatry and the oldest old. Am J of Psychiatry 2000; 157(12): 1915–24.
10. ***WHO. Clasificare Statistică Internaţională a Bolilor şi Problemelor de Sănătate Înrudite, a 10-a Revizie, Modificare Australiană. Tulburări mentale şi de comportament, 2002.
11. ***American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), Fifth Edition. American Psychiatric Publishing. Washintgton DC, 2013.
12. Nechita P, Vicol MC, Pantea AP, Petrariu FD, Crăciun G. Informed consent in psychiatric medical care: a prospective quantitative study. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2015; 119(4): 1025-1030.
13. Paykel ES, Priest RG. Recognition and management of depression in general practice: consensus statement. BMJ 1992; 305(6863): 1198‐1202.
14. Rayner L, Price A, Evans A, Valsraj K, Higginson IJ, Hotopf M. Antidepressants for depression in physically ill people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2010.
15. Alexopoulos GS, Katz IR, Reynolds CF, Carpenter D, Docherty JP. The expert consensus guideline series. Pharmacotherapy of depressive disorders in older patients. Postgrad Med 2001; Spec No Pharmacotherapy: 1-86
16. Fiske A, Wetherell JL, Gatz M. Depression in older adults. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2009; 5: 363-389.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form