FATIGABILITY – FROM CONCEPT TO CLINICAL PROFILE. CASE REPORT
We present the case of a female patient, aged 57, who undergoes her first cardiovascular evaluation and gets admitted to the emergency room complaining about palpitations, deep physical asthenia, dyspnea on average effort and discrete edema at the lower limbs level. The examination shows a severe anemic syndrome and serositis, with the development, thus, of a systemic immunological affectation at the visceral level. Immunology tests confirmed the diagnosis supposition of systemic lupus erythematosus, the patient meeting 6 of the 11 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria: malar rash, photosensitivity, serositis, hematological affectation, immunological affectation, antinuclear antibodies. The activity of the disease was assessed against the SLEDAI questionnaire (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease Activity Index), which delivered a 12-point scoring, therefore showing a high activity level disease.
2. Dall’Era M, Wofsy D. Clinical features of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Kelley and Firestein's Textbook of Rheumatology, 10th Edition, 2017, 1345-1367.
3. Simard JF, Costenbader KH. Epidemiology and classification of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. In: Hochberg MC et al. Rheumatology 5th ed. Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia 2011, 1223-1228.
4. Holgate ST, Komaroff AL, Mangan D, Wessely S. Chronic fatigue syndrome: Understanding a com-plex illness. Nat Rev Neurosci 2011; 12: 539-544.
5. Cleanthous S, Tyagi M, Isenberg DA, Newman SP. What do we know about self-reported fatigue in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus ? Lupus 2012; 21(5): 465-476.
6. O’Riordan R, Doran M, Connolly D. Fatigue and Activity Management Education for Individuals with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Occup Ther Int 2017; 4530104.
7. Gallop K, Nixon A, Swinburn P, Sterling KL, Naegeli AN, Silk ME. Development of a conceptual model of health-related quality of life for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus from the patient’s perspective. Lupus 2012; 21(9): 934-943.
8. Connolly D, O’Toole L, Redmond P, Smith SM. Managing fatigue in patients with chronic conditions in primary care. Fam Pract 2013; 30(2): 123-124.
9. Burlui A, Cardoneanu A, Macovei L, Rezus E. Multiple risk factors for thromboembolism and preg-nancy loss in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: a case report. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2017; 121(2): 277-281.
10. Badescu C, Floria M, Rezus C. Hypochromic iron deficiency anemia. Internal Medicine Compendium 2014, 592-604.
11. Nguyen MH, Bryant K, O’Neill SG. Vitamin D in SLE: a role in pathogenesis and fatigue? A review of the literature. Lupus 2018; 27(13): 2003-2011.
12. Arnaud L, Gavand PE, Voll R, et al. Predictors of fatigue and severe fatigue in a large international cohort of patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and a systematic review of the literature. Rheumatology 2019; 1; 58(6): 987-996.
13. Maranduca MA, Serban IL, Nicoleta D, et al. Cardiovascular and metabolic comorbidities-therapeutic difficulties. Case report. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2018; 122 (2): 304-308.
14. Tselios K, Urowitz MB. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythema-tosus. Curr Rheumatol Rev 2017; 13(3): 206-218.
15. SY Lim, EH Bae, K-D Han, et al. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a nationwide, population-based study in Korea. Lupus 2018; 27(13): 1-7.
16. Shankar S, Behera V. Advances in management of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J Mahatma Gandhi Inst Med Sci 2014; 19: 28-36.
17. Durcan L, Tom O’Dwyer T, Petri M. Management strategies and future directions for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in adults. Lancet 2019; 393(10188): 2332-2343.
18. Kasitanon N, Magder LS, Petri M. Predictors of survival in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Medicine 2006; 85: 147-156.
19. Maranduca MA, Tarniceriu CC, Carasevici E, Cojocaru E. Interaction between angiotensin II, hyper-tension, and inflammation in rat kidney. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2015; 119(3): 791-797.
20. Maranduca MA, Cojocaru E, Carasevici E. Correlations between arterial hypertension induced by angiotensin II and systemic inflammation in rat. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2016; 120(1): 77-82.
21. Clim A, Pop AM, Maranduca MA, et al. The Multidisciplinary team approach to oral rehabilitation of patients with valvular heart disease, Romanian Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2019; 11(4): 113-119.
22. Hanly JG, O’Keeffe AG, Su L, et al. The frequency and outcome of lupus nephritis: results from an international inception cohort study. Rheumatology 2016; 55: 252-262.
23. Obrișcă B, Jurubiță R, Andronesi A, Sorohan B, et al. Histological predictors of renal outcome in lupus nephritis: the importance of tubulointerstitial lesions and scoring of glomerular lesions. Lupus 2018; 27(9): 1455-1463.
24. Minzala G, Ismail G. An intriguing association of Turner syndrome with severe nephrotic syndrome: searching for a diagnosis. Lupus 2016; 25(11): 1266-1268.
25. Sorohan B, Gamala A, Paraschiv M, et al. Rare cause of severe neurological impairment in a young patient with Lupus. J Med Cases 2016; 7(11): 488-490.
26. Tsokos GC. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. N Engl J Med 2011; 365: 2110-2121.
27. Anders HJ, Rovin B: A pathophysiology-based approach to the diagnosis and treatment of lupus nephritis. Kidney Int 2016; 90: 493-501.
28. Hans-Joachim A, Hiepe F. Treatment Options for Refractory Lupus Nephritis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2019; 14(5): 653-655.
29. Azoicai T, Bolibou IM, Lozneanu L, Giusca SE, Cojocaru E, Caruntu ID. Large variability of the activity and chronic indexes within and between histological classes of lupus nephritis. Rom J Morfol Embryol 2017; 58(1): 73-78.
30. Alexander T, Bondanza A, Muraro PA, et al. SCT for severe autoimmune diseases: Consensus guide-lines of the European Society for blood and marrow transplantation for immune monitoring and bio banking. Bone Marrow Transplant 2015; 50: 173-180.
31. Huang X, Chen W, Ren G, Zhao L, et al. Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for refractory lupus nephritis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2019; 14: 719-727.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form