THE ROLE OF LYMPHOCYTE-TO-MONOCYTE RATIO AND PLATELET-TO-LYMPHOCYTE RATIO REPORTS AS A PREDICTIVE FACTOR FOR THE OCCURRENCE OF INTESTINAL NECROSIS IN COMPLICATED INCISIONAL HERNIAS
The current study aims to identify the role of lymphocyte-to-monocyte ratio (LMR) and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio (PLR) reports as a predictive factor for the occurrence of intestinal necrosis in patients with incisional hernias and the cutoff values for LMR and PLR. Material and methods: We performed a 4-year retrospective study that included 168 patients in whom we determined MRL and PLR reports. Results: From the statistical analysis we noticed that the cutoff value for LMR as a predictive factor in the case of intestinal resections is 2.716 (sensitivity of 54.2% and specificity of 88.4%). For PLT the cutoff level is 124, below this threshold the specificity decreases and the sensitivity increases. Comparing LMR and PLR, the ratio of lymphocytes to monocytes is the most sensitive and specific. AUC=0.712 (C.I. 95% = 0.638 to 0.779), p value of 0.0029. Conclusions: Elevated LMR levels are associated with the occurrence of bowel necrosis in strangled or incarcerated incisional hernias.
2. Simson N, Parker S, Stonier T, Halligan S, Windsor A. Incisional hernia in renal transplant recipients: a systematic review. Am Surg 2018; 84(6): 930-937.
3. Hoer J, Lawong G, Klinge U, Schumpelick V. Factors influencing the development of incisional hernia. A retrospective study of 2983 laparotomy patients over a period of 10 years. Chirurgia 2002; 73(5): 474-480.
4. Howard R, Thompson M, Fan Z, Englesbe M, Dimick JB, Telem DA. Costs associated with modifia-ble risk factors in ventral an incisional hernia repair. Jama Netw Open 2019; 2(11): e1916330.
5. Dietz UA, Menzel S, Lock J, Wiegering A. The treatment of incisional hernia. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2018; 115(3): 31-37.
6. Koirala U, Thapa PB, Joshi MR, Singh DR, Sharma SK. Systemic inflammatory response syndrome following gastrointestinal surgery. JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc 2017; 56(206): 221-225.
7. HyunSoo Oh, EunKyoung Bae, SeonYoung Lim, JiHye Oh, SunYoung Han, WhaSook Seo. Temporal changes in physiological parameters of systemic inflammatory response syndrome during the three days prior to a diagnosis of sepsis: a case-control study. J Clin Nurs 2016; 25(21-22): 3176-3188.
8. Tunyaporn Kamonyarapitak, et al. Preoperative lymphocyte-to-monocyte ratio predicts postoperative infections after laparoscopic colorectal cancer surgery. Int J Clin Oncol 2020; 25(4): 633-640.
9. Dai W, Chen Z, Zuo J, Tan J, Tan M, Yuan Y. Risk factors of postoperative complications after emergency repair of incarcerated groin hernia for adult patients: a retrospective cohort study. Hernia 2019; 23(2): 267-276.
10. Halmaciu I, et al. It is Useful to Use Plastic Anatomical Models in Teaching Human Anatomy ? Mater Plast 2018; 55(3): 414-418.
11. Dewen Tan, Yan Fu, Weidong Tong, Fan Li. Prognostic significance of lymphocyte to monocyte ratio in colorectal cancer: A meta-analysis. Int J Surg 2018; 55: 128-138.
12. Suciu BA, et al. Comparative Study on the Need for Postoperative Analgesic Medication After Surgical Treatment of Inguinal Hernia with Surgical Mesh through Laparoscopic or Classic Approach. Mater Plast 2018; 55(3): 380-384.
13. Halmaciu I, et al. Comparative Study on the Use of Polypropylene Mesh in the Surgical Treatment of Patients with Strangulated or Uncomplicated Incisional Hernias. Mater Plast 2018; 55(2): 207-210.
14. Balk RA. Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS): where did it come from an dis it still relevant today? Virulence 2014; 5(1): 20-26.
15. Domen H, et al. Inadvertent ingestion of a press-through package causing perforation of the small intestine within an incisional hernia and pan peritonitis. Case Rep Gasroenterol 2011; 5(2): 391-395.
16. Muresan M, Muresan S, Bara T, Neagoe , Sala D., Suciu BA. Hernia recurrence long term follow-up after open procedures of abdominal wall plasty – Prospective study including 142 patients. Cirugía y Cirujanos 2016; 84(5): 376-383.
17. Bandea D, Halmaciu I, Suciu BA, Godja D, Branzaniuc K, SVoidazan S. The importance of the neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio as a predictive factor for the occurrence of intestinal necrosis in patients with incisional hernias. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iaşi 2019; 123(4): 682-688.
18. Hande Koksal, Derviș Ateș, Emet Ebru Nazik, Ilknur Kucukosmanoglu, Serap Melek Dogan, Osman Dogru. Predictive value of preoperative neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio while detecting bowel resection in hernia with intestinal incarceration. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 2018; 24(3): 207-210.
19. Xingming Xie, Shu Feng, Zhongling Tang, Longyu Chen, Yongsheng Huang, Xianzhi Yang. Neitro-phil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts the severity of incarcerated groin hernia. Med Sci Monit 2017; 23: 5558-5563.
20. Molnar C, et al. Anterior transabdominal laparoscopic adrenalectomy, without ligatures, for a symp-tomatic right adrenal myelolipoma with intratumorally hemorrhage. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2017; 112(1): 58-62.
21. Yusuf Cekici, Mucahid Yilmaz, Ozlem Secen. New inflammatory indicators: association of high eosinophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and low lymphocyte-to-monocyte ratio with smoking. J Int Med Res 2019; 47(9): 4292-4303.
22. Mazza MG, Grazia A, Tringali M, Rossetti A, Botti RE, Clerici M. Cross-sectional study of neutrophil-lymphocyte, platelet-lymphocyte, and monocyte-lymphocyte ratios in mood disorders. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2019; 58: 7-12
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form