A RAPID, SIMPLE AND SENSITIVE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF NO FROM NO DONORS
Aim. To develop and validate a spectrophotometric UV-VIS method for the determination of nitric oxide (NO) released from NO donors, such as nitric oxide-releasing nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NO-NSAIDs), with poor solubility in aqueous medium. Material and methods: The method is based on the nitric oxide-mediated stress (nitrosative stress) through sulfanilamide that reacts with N-(1-naphthyl)ethylenediamine dihydrochloride to form a pink-red azo dye with maximum peak at 540nm. The method was validated in term of linearity, detection limit, quantification limit, precision, and accuracy. Results: The linearity of the method was proved for range of 0.78-100μM NaNO2 with a correlation coefficient of 0.9998. The accuracy of the method was checked by recovery experiment performed at three concentrations, i.e., 20 μM, 40 μM and 60μM NaNO2 and the recovery (%) was found to be in the range of 98.34% and 101.96%. The low values of relative standard deviation (RSD) are indicative of the accuracy and reproducibility of the method. The precision of the method was studied as intraday and interday variations. An RSD less than 2% indicates that the method is precise. Conclusions: This research offers all the proofs that recommend the use of this method for the determination of NO released from NO donors, such as NO-NSAID, using a hydroalcoholic medium, as it has good sensitivity, precision, and accuracy.
2. Hirst DG, Robson T. Nitric oxide physiology and pathology. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;704:1-13.
3. Sharma JN, Al-Omran A, Parvathy SS. Role of nitric oxide in inflammatory diseases. Inflammophar-macology 2007; 15(6): 252-259.
4. Alberto Gasco DB et al. Multitarget drugs: Focus on the NO-donor hybrid drugs. Pure and Applied Chemistry 2008; 80(8): 1693-1701.
5. Kumar S, Singh RK, Bhardwaj TR. Therapeutic role of nitric oxide as emerging molecule. Biomed Pharmacother 2017; 85: 182-201.
6. Aziz HA, Moustafa GAI, Abbas S, Derayea SM, Abuo-Rahma GE. New norfloxacin/nitric oxide donor hybrids: Synthesis and nitric oxide release measurement using a modified Griess colorimetric method.European Journal of Chemistry 2017; 8: 119-124.
7. Abdelall EKA, Abdelhamid AO, Azouz AA. Synthesis and biological evaluations of new nitric oxide-anti-inflammatory drug hybrids. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2017; 27(18): 4358-4369.
8. Wo D, Zhuang P, Xu ZG, Xu S, Lu Y, Mao HM. A novel spectrophotometric method for indirect determination of nitric oxide (NO) in serum. Clin Chim Acta 2013; 424: 187-190.
9. Oprean R. Ghid de validare a procedurilor analitice cantitative. Cluj Napoca: Editura Medicală Universitara “Iuliu Haţieganu” 2007.
10. Roman L, Săndulescu R, Muntean DL. Validarea metodelor analitice. Bucureşti: Editura Medicală, 2007. Validarea metodelor analitice. Bucureşti: Editura Medicală; 2007.
11. ***European Medicines Agency. Bioanalytical method validation M10, ICH Guidelines, 2019.
12. Giustarini D, Rossi R, Milzani A, Dalle-Donne I. Nitrite, and nitrate measurement by Griess reagent in human plasma: evaluation of interferences and standardization. Methods in enzymology 2008; 440: 361-380.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form