THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 PATHOLOGY ON THE SENIOR POPULATION
The outbreak of coronavirus in December 2019 has completely reshaped urban life due to the need to limit the spread of the disease and provide essential services to the city's most vulnerable residents, such as senior patients. Current epidemiology suggests that approximately 80% of patients with COVID-19 have mild symptoms, 45% have severe symptoms that require hospitalization, while 5% become critically ill, requiring mechanical ventilation. Differences in reactivity are due to the degree of viral load, the host's immune response and, more importantly, the patient's age in the presence of generic co morbidities (such as hypertension, diabetes, and thrombotic events), and geriatric syndromes (such as frailty, malnutrition, risk of falling, cognitive impairment).
2. Cesari M, Calvani R, Marzetti E. Frailty in older persons. Clin Geriatr Med 2017; 33: 293-303 / doi: 10.1016/j.cger.
3. Bishop NA, Lu T, Yankner BA. Neural mechanisms of ageing and cognitive decline. Nature 2010; 464: 529-535 / doi: 10.1038/nature08983.
4. Borzuola R, Giombini A, Torre G, Campi S, Albo E, Bravi M, et al. Central and peripheral neuro-muscular adaptations to ageing. J Clin Med 2020; 9: 741 / 10.3390/jcm9030741.
5. Ofori-Asenso R, Chin KL, Mazidi M, Zomer E, Ilomaki J, Zullo AR, et al. Global incidence of frailty and prefrailty among community-dwelling older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Netw Open 2019; 2: e198398 / doi: 10.1001 /jamanetworkopen.2019.8398.
6. Eeles EM, White SV, O'Mahony SM, Bayer AJ, Hubbard RE. The impact of frailty and delirium on mortality in older inpatients. Age Ageing 2012; 41: 412-416 / doi: 10.1093/ageing/afs021.
7. Ligthart-Melis GC, Luiking YC, Kakourou A, Cederholm T, Maier AB, de van der Schueren MAE. Frailty, sarcopenia, and malnutrition frequently (co-)occur in hospitalized older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2020; 21: 1216-1228 / doi: 10.1016/ j.jamda.2020. 03.006
8. Briguglio M, Vitale JA, Galentino R, Banfi G, Zanaboni Dina C, Bona A, et al. Healthy eating, phys-ical activity, and sleep hygiene (HEPAS) as the winning triad for sustaining physical and mental health in patients at risk for or with neuropsychiatric disorders: considerations for clinical practice. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2020; 16: 55-70 / doi: 10.2147/NDT.S229206
9. Emami A, Javanmardi F, Pirbonyeh N, Akbari A. Prevalence of underlying diseases in hospitalized patients with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Acad Emerg Med 2020; 8: e35.
10. Bencivenga L, Rengo G, Varricchi G. Elderly at time of Corona Virus disease 2019 (COVID-19): possible role of immunosenescence and malnutrition. GeroScience 2020; 42: 1089-1092.
11. Leij-Halfwerk S, Verwijs MH, van Houdt S, Borkent JW, Guaitoli PR, Pelgrim T, et al. Prevalence of protein-energy malnutrition risk in European older adults in community, residential and hospital set-tings, according to 22 malnutrition screening tools validated for use in adults ≥65 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Maturitas 2019; 126: 80-89.
12. Ilie AC, Alexa ID, Moroşanu AI, Covic A, Cepoi V, et al. Effects of oxidative stress and pharmaco-logical treatment on geriatric syndromes in the hospitalized elderly patients. Official Journal of the Romanian Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences 2016; 64: 588-593.
13. Volkert D, Beck AM, Cederholm T, Cereda E, Cruz-Jentoft A, Goisser S, et al. Management of mal-nutrition in older patients-current approaches, evidence, and open questions. J Clin Med 2019; 8: 974 / doi: 10.3390 /jcm8070974.
14. Abdulan IM, Ilie AC, Sandu IA, Pîslaru AI. Effects of sarcopenia and sarcopenic obesity on the health status of elderly population. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2018; 240: 2.
15. Alam I, Almajwal AM, Alam W, Alam I, Ullah N, Abulmeaaty M, et al. The immune-nutrition inter-play in aging - facts and controversies. Nutr Heal Aging 2019; 5: 73-95.
16. Varricchi G, Bencivenga L, Poto R, Pecoraro A, Shamji MH, Rengo G. The emerging role of T fol-licular helper (TFH) cells in aging: influence on the immune frailty. Ageing Res Rev 2020; 101071: 101071 / doi: 10.1016/j. arr.2020.101071
17. Alexa ID, Ilie AC. (coord). Basiscs in Geriatry and Gerontology. “Gr. T. Popa” Publisher, 2021.
18. Aiello A, Farzaneh F, Candore G, Caruso C, Davinelli S, Gambino CM, et al. Immunosenescence and its hallmarks: how to oppose aging strategically? A review of potential options for therapeutic inter-vention. Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 2247 /10.3389/fimmu.2019.02247
19. Wang L, He W, Yu X. Coronavirus disease 2019 in elderly patients: Characteristics and prognostic factors based on 4-week follow-up. Journal of Infection 2020; 80(6): 639-645.
20. Leung C. Risk factors for predicting mortality in elderly patients with COVID-19: A review of clinical data in China. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 2020; 188: 111255.
21. Obermeyer Z, Samra JK, Mullainathan S. Individual differences in normal body temperature: longi-tudinal big data analysis of patient records. BMJ 2017; 359: j5468 / doi:10.1136/bmj.j5468.
22. Castle SC, Yeh M, Toledo S, Yoshikawa TT, Norman DC. Lowering the temperature criterion im-proves detection of infections in nursing home residents. Aging Immunol Infect Dis 1993; 4(2): 67-76.
23. Güneş UY, Zaybak A. Does the body temperature change in older people? J Clin Nurs 2008; 17(17): 2284-2287 / doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02272.x
24. Norman D.C. Fever in the elderly. Clin Infect Dis 2000; 31(1): 148-151 / doi:10.1086/313896.
25. Calder PC, Carr AC, Gombart AF, Eggersdorfer M. Optimal nutritional status for a well-functioning immune system is an important factor to protect against viral infections. Nutrients 2020; 12: 1181.
26. Barnett JB, Dao MC, Hamer DH, Kandel R, Brandeis G, Wu D, et al. Effect of zinc supplementation on serum zinc concentration and T cell proliferation in nursing home elderly: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial1. Am J Clin Nutr 2016; 103: 942-951 / doi: 10.3945 /ajcn.115.115188.
27. Almeida Brasiel PG. The key role of zinc in elderly immunity: A possible approach in the COVID-19 crisis. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN 2020; 38: 65-66.
28. Rolles B, Maywald M, Rink L. Influence of zinc deficiency and supplementation on NK cell cytotox-icity. J Funct Foods 2018; 48: 322-328 / doi: 10.1016/j.jff.2018.07.027.
29. Huang Z, Liu Y, Qi G, Brand D, Zheng S. Role of vitamin A in the immune system. J Clin Med 2018; 7: 258 / doi: 10.3390/jcm7090258.
30. Lee GY, Han SN. The role of vitamin E in immunity. Nutrients 2018; 10(11): 1614 / doi: 10.3390/ nu10111614.
31. Pae M, Meydani SN, Wu D. The role of nutrition in enhancing immunity in aging. Aging Dis 2012; 3: 91-129.
32. Grant WB, Lahore H, McDonnell SL, et al. Evidence that vitamin D supplementation could reduce risk of influenza and COVID-19 infections and deaths. Nutrients. 2020; 12: 988 / doi: 10.3390 / nu12040988.
33. Jakovac H. COVID-19 and vitamin D - Is there a link and an opportunity for intervention? Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2020; 318: E589 / doi: 10.1152 /ajpendo.00138
34. Annweiler G, Corvaisier M, Gautier J. Vitamin D Supplementation Associated to Better Survival in Hospitalized Frail Elderly COVID-19 Patients: The GERIA-COVID Quasi-Experimental Study. Nu-trients 2020; 12: 3377.
35. Goncalves-Mendes N, Talvas J, Dualé C, Guttmann A, Corbin V, Marceau G, et al. Impact of Vitamin D supplementation on influenza vaccine response and immune functions in deficient elderly persons: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Front Immunol 2019; 10 / doi: 10.3389/fimmu. 2019. 00065.
36. Carr AC. A new clinical trial to test high-dose vitamin C in patients with COVID-19. Crit Care 2020; 24: 133 / doi: 10.1186/s13054-020-02851-4.
37. Hemilä H, Louhiala P. Vitamin C for preventing and treating pneumonia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013.
38. Zhu Y, Chen W, Xin X. Epidemiologic characteristics of traumatic fractures in elderly patients during the outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. International Orthopaedics 2020; 44: 1565-1570.
39. Filip A, Veliceasa B, Puha B, et al. Bisphosphonates Influence and Pain Assessment in Mobilization of Patients with Fragility Fractures of the Pelvis. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2019; 70: 1094-1097.
40. Poloni TE, Carlos AF, Cairati M. Prevalence, and prognostic value of delirium as the initial presentation of COVID-19 in the elderly with dementia: An Italian retrospective study. E Clinical Medicine 2020; 26: 100490.
41. Bianchetti A, Rozzini R, Guerini F, et al. Clinical presentation of COVID19 in dementia patients. J Nutr Heal Aging. 2020; 24(6): 560-562.
42. Simonetti A, Pais C, Jones M. Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Elderly With Dementia During COVID-19 Pandemic: Definition, Treatment, and Future Directions. Frontiers in Psychology 2020; 11: 579842.
43. Alexa ID, Ilie AC, Pislaru AI, Dronic A, Gavrilovici O, Alexa-Stratulat T, Stefaniu R, Sandu I, Nuta C, Herghelegiu AM. Elder abuse, and associated factors in Eastern Romania. Psychogeriatrics 2020; 20(2): 196-205.
44. Janiri D, Petracca M, Moccia L. COVID-19 Pandemic and Psychiatric Symptoms: The Impact on Parkinson’s Disease in the Elderly. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2020; 11: 581144.
45. Banerjee D. The impact of COVID-19 pandemic on elderly mental health. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2020; 35(12): 1466-1467.
46. Gardner W, States D, Bagley N. The Coronavirus and the Risks to the Elderly in Long-Term Care. Journal of Aging & Social Policy 2020; 32(4-5): 310-315.
47. Etard JF, Vanhems P, Atlani-Duault L, Ecochard R. Potential lethal outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) among the elderly in retirement homes and long-term facilities. Euro Surveil 2020; 25(15): 2000448.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form