DIAGNOSIS AND THERAPEUTIC MANAGEMENT OF NAIL PSORIASIS
Aim: To identify the comorbidities associated with nail psoriasis and its therapeutic management. Material and methods: A 4-year retrospective analytical study which included 527 patients admitted to the Dermatology Department of the Iasi “Sf. Spiridon” County Clinical Emergency Hospital from Iași. Results: The frequency of cases without nail or arthropathic psoriasis was much higher (88.89% of cases) compared to 32.97% of cases associating arthropathic and nail psoriasis (χ2 = 37.93, p <0.00001). Cases with nail psoriasis were significantly more commonly associated with severe forms of psoriasis with PASI scores higher than 20 (49.57% cases compared to 28.89%, Z = 3.69, p = 0.0001, and to 35.6 %, Z = 2.42, p = 0.008) and similarly, with DLQI scores higher than 20 (52.73% compared to 28.88%, Z = 4.41, p <0.00001 and to 32.54%, Z = 3.79, p = 0.00008). In patients with nail psoriasis, the highest frequency of cases with favorable outcome was obtained with biological treatment (80.85% compared to 39.86% of those with topical treatment, Z = 4.85, p <0.00001 and compared to 43.33% of those with topical and systemic immunosuppressive therapy, Z = 3.93, p = 0.00004). Conclusions: The presence of arthropathic psoriasis may be a risk factor for nail psoriasis, and its absence may be a protective factor against nail psoriasis. Severe forms may lead to quality of life (QOL) impairment with unfavorable, stationary and undulating course. Although nail psoriasis is usually investigated by clinical examination, the diagnosis of incipient form of disease is needed
2. Cucoş M, Crişan M, Lenghel M, Dudea M, Croitoru R, Dudea SM. Conventional ultrasonography and sonoelastography in the assessment of plaque psoriasis under topical corticosteroid treatment - work in progress. Med Ultrason 2014; 16(2): 107-113.
3. Bolognia J, Schaffer J, Duncan K, Ko C. Dermatology Essentials. Saunders/Elsevier, Philadelphia 2017, 1210-1211.
4. Gheucă Solovăstru L, Diaconu LD, et al. Clasic şi modern în psoriazis. Junimea, Iaşi 2008, 220-221.
5. Acosta-Felquer ML, Ruta S, Rosa J, et al. Ultrasound entheseal abnormalities at the distal interpha-langeal joints and clinical nail involvement in patients with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, supporting the nail-enthesitis theory. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 2017; 47(3): 338-342.
6. Klaassen KM, Kerkhof PC, Bastiaens MT, Plusje LG, Baran RL, Pasch MC. Scoring nail psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 70(6): 1061-1066.
7. Gisondi P, Idolazzi L, Girolomoni G. Ultrasonography reveals nail thickening in patients with chronic plaque psoriasis. Arch Dermatol Res 2012; 304(9): 727-732.
8. Hongbo Y, Thomas CL, Harrison MA, Salek MS and Finlay AY. Translating the science of quality of life into practice: What do dermatology life quality index scores mean? J Invest Dermatol 2005; 125: 659-664.
9. Gisondi P, Altomare G, Ayala F, et al. Italian guidelines on the systemic treatments of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2017; 31(5): 774-790.
10. Manhart R, Rich P. Nail psoriasis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2015; 33: 7-13.
11. Jiaravuthisan MM, Sasseville D, Vender RB, Murphy F, Muhn CY. Psoriasis of the nail: anatomy, pathology, clinical presentation, and a review of the literature on therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol 2007; 57: 1-27.
12. Cohen MR, Reda DJ, Clegg DO. Baseline relationships between psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: analysis of 221 patients with active psoriatic arthritis. Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study Group on Seronegative Spondyloarthropathies. J Rheumatol 1999; 26: 1752-1756.
13. Nestle FO, Kaplan DH, Barker J. Psoriasis. N Engl J Med 2009; 361: 496-509.
14. Amatore F, Villani AP, Tauber M, Viguier M, Guillot B. French guidelines on the use of systemic treatments for moderate-to-severe psoriasis in adults. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2019; 33(3): 464-483.
15. Augustin M, Reich K, Blome C, Schafer I, Laass A, Radtke MA. Nail psoriasis in Germany: epide-miology and burden of disease. Br J Dermatol 2010; 163(3): 580-585.
16. Armesto S, Esteve A, Coto-Segura P, Drake M, Galache C, Martinez-Borra J, et al. Psoriasis ungueal: estudio en 661 pacientes con psoriasis vulgar. Actas Dermo-Sifiliograficas 2011; 102: 365-372.
17. Boehncke WH, Qureshi A, Merola JF, et al. Diagnosing and treating psoriatic arthritis: an update. Br J Dermatol 2014; 170: 772-786.
18. Rigopoulos D, Baran R, Chiheb S, et al. Recommendations for the definition, evaluation, and treatment of nail psoriasis in adult patients with no or mild skin psoriasis: A dermatologist and nail expert group consensus. J Am Acad Dermatol 2019; 81(1): 228-240.
19. Solovastru LG, Vata D. Fungal infections and nail psoriasis. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2009; 113(4): 1083-1088.
20. Macovei L, Brujbu I. Psoriatic rheumatism. Inflammatory arthropathy. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2014; 118(1): 45-51.
21. Grajdeanu I‑A, Statescu L, Vata D, et al. Imaging techniques in the diagnosis and monitoring of psoriasis. Exp Ther Med 2019; 7957: 4974-4980.
22. Aluja Jaramillo F, Quiasua Mejia DC, Martinez Orduz HM, Gonzalez Ardila C. Nail unit ultrasound: a complete guide of the nail diseases. Journal of Ultrasound 2017; 20(3): 181-192.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form