150 YEARS SINCE THE BIRTH OF ERNEST JUVARA (1870-1933)
Ernest Juvara was born in 1870, in Bârlad, Romania in a wealthy farmer family. He displayed some remarkable aptitudes and skills from early childhood. He finished his primary and high school studies at some of the most famous education institutions in Romania. In 1888 he is accepted at the Paris Medical School. There, Prof. Paul Poirier was an exceptional mentor for Juvara. From him, he learned the art of anatomic drawing. In 1895, Juvara defends his doctoral thesis in medicine and surgery and is awarded “extrêmement bien” by the Paris Medical School. In the same year he returns to Romania with Prof. Thoma Ionescu and begins his surgical and university career. During his stay in Paris, he managed to publish a successful anatomy book, personally decorated with multiple original anatomical drawings, and drew over 100 anatomy illustrations for demonstrations and anatomy treatise published by his mentor. His extraordinary surgical and scientific activity, organizer and inventor talent advanced him to the position of tenure professor at only 29 years of age. He is regarded as the founder of the Department of clinical surgery at Iași Faculty of Medicine and one of the orthopedics pioneers in Romania. Throughout his career he drew over 3,000 original anatomy illustrations and published over 230 articles and books. We pay tribute to one of the pillars of Romanian medicine, Ernest Juvara, a skillful surgeon, a talented professor, artist, and inventor, and especially a truly remarkable personality.
2. Palade R. Ernest Juvara (1870-1933), Chirurgia 2005; 100(3): 209-211.
3. Tarcoveanu E, Vasilescu A. Ernest Juvara (1870-1933) - Founder of the Surgical Anatomy School of Iasi. Chirurgia 2015; 110(1): 7-8.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form