FIRST YEAR OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC INFLUENCE ON BLADDER CANCER PATIENTS IN ONE SINGLE ACADEMIC UROLOGICAL CENTER FROM NORTH-EASTERN ROMANIA
The COVID-19 pandemic created an unprecedented situation who made health systems to reorganize their resources and redeploy staff away from routine diagnostic, treatment and follow‐up services. Material and methods: have studied retrospective the medical files of bladder cancer patients referred to our clinic between 1st of March 2019- 28 of February 2020 (group A) compared with those referred between 1st of March 2020- 1st of March 2021 (group B). A total of 640 patients were included, 486 (75.94%) males and 154 (24.06%) females, aged between 22 and 92 years, with a mean age of 69.12 years (SD+/-9.62). Group A had 408 (63.75%) patients while group B 232 (36.25%). Results: We have noticed that anemia was significantly more often in group B (p=0.032), this has led to a higher necessity of preoperative blood transfusion (p=0.039) but with no differences regarding inflammatory syndrome or kidney failure incidence. Also, the hospitalization period (p=0.001) and the time from admission to surgery have been significantly shorter in group B (p=0.05). Conclusions: By trying to avoid hospitalization many patients are admitted with a poorer biological status. In addition, many bladder cancer cases will go undetected and untreated and once the pandemic has passed, we will face an excess in cancer-related mortality.
2. Hirsch JS, Ng JH, Ross DW, et al. Northwell COVID-19 Research Consortium; Northwell Nephrolo-gy COVID-19 Research Consortium. Acute kidney injury in patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Kidney Int 2020; 98(1): 209-218 / doi: 10.1016/j.kint.2020.05.006.
3. Butu A, Brumă IS, Tanasă L, et al. The Impact of COVID-19 Crisis upon the Consumer Buying Behavior of Fresh Vegetables Directly from Local Producers. Case Study: The Quarantined Area of Suceava County, Romania. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 29; 17(15): 5485 / doi: 10.3390/ijerph17155485.
4. Cumberbatch MGK, Jubber I, Black PC, et al. Epidemiology of Bladder Cancer: A Systematic Review and Contemporary Update of Risk Factors in 2018. Eur Urol 2018; 74(6): 784-795 / doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2018.09.001.
5. EAU Guidelines Office Rapid Reaction Group: An organization-wide collaborative effort to adapt the EAU guidelines recommendations to the COVID era available at: https://uroweb.org/wp-content/uploads/Combined-oncology-COVID-19-recommendations.pdf
6. Maccagnano C, Rocchini L, Montanari E, et al. Overview of the Italian experience in surgical man-agement of bladder cancer during first month of COVID-19 pandemic. Arch Ital Urol Androl 2020; 92(4) / doi: 10.4081/aiua.2020.4.275.
7. Spencer-Bowdage S, Russell B, Rigby J, et al. The experience of UK patients with bladder cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic: a survey-based snapshot. BJU Int 2021; 127(2): 179-181 / doi: 10.1111/bju.15287.
8. Teoh JY, Ong WLK, Gonzalez-Padilla D, et al. UroSoMe Working Group. A Global Survey on the Impact of COVID-19 on Urological Services. Eur Urol 2020; 78(2): 265-275 / doi: 10.1016/ j.eururo.2020.05.025.
9. Gravas S, Bolton D, Gomez R, et al. Impact of COVID-19 on urology practice: a global perspective and snapshot analysis. Journal of Clinical Medicine 2020; 9(6): 1730.
10. Wong MCS, Fung FDH, Leung C, Cheung WWL, Goggins WB, Ng CF. The global epidemiology of bladder cancer: a Joinpoint regression analysis of its incidence and mortality trends and projection. Sci Rep 2018; 8(1): 1129 / doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-19199-z.
11. CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - United States, February 12-March 16, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020; 69(12): 343-346 / doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6912e2.
12. Sutton JM. Evaluation of hematuria in adults. JAMA 1990; 263(18): 2475-2480.
13. Gonzalez AN, Lipsky MJ, Li G, et al. The Prevalence of Bladder Cancer During Cystoscopy for Asymptomatic Microscopic Hematuria. Urology. 2019; 126: 34-38 / doi: 10.1016/j.urology. 2019.01.011.
14. Wee LE, Conceicao EP, Sim XYJ, et al. Minimizing intra-hospital transmission of COVID-19: the role of social distancing. J Hosp Infect 2020; 105(2): 113-115 / doi: 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.04.016.
15. Amota O, Frunda EA, Ghirca V, et al. Urological practice during COVID-19 pandemic in Târgu Mureș. Rom J Urol 2020; 19 (1): 14-18.
16. Méjean A, Rouprêt M, Rozet F, et al. Recommendations CCAFU on the management of cancers of the urogenital system during an epidemic with Coronavirus COVID-19. Prog Urol 2020; 30(5): 221-231 / doi: 10.1016/j.purol.2020.03.009.
17. Rexer H. A study of non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer therapy : Treatment of high-grade non-muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder with the standard number and dosage of intravesical BCG instillations versus a reduced number intravesical BCG instillations at the standard dosage: A European Association of Urology Research Foundation randomized phase 3 study - NIMBUS - AB 37/10 of the AUO. Urologe A. 2016; 55(4): 528-531 / doi: 10.1007/s00120-016-0051-3.
18. ***Ordin Comandant acțiune Nr. 74527/23.03.2020, available at https://amf-b.ro/wp-content/ uploads /2020/04/Ordinul-74553_07.04.2020.pdf.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form