CENTENARY OF THE BIRTH OF PROF. Dr. DOC. GRIGORE TEODOROVICI
In 1830 “The Society of Physicians and Naturalists of the Principality of Moldavia” (SPN) was founded in Iași as a Medical Reading Circle. It was the first scientific association in the Romanian Countries, “the first European academy of the national spirit” or, according to Gustav Otremba, “the oldest Medical Society in the Orient”. The activity of this Society took shape through: the establishment of the first medical and naturalistic library which contained materials of great documentary value (1830); the creation of the first Museum of Natural History (1834); the establishment of the first botanical garden in the Romanian Principalities (1856); promotion in Moldavia of economic and technological progress, including industrialization, but especially modernization of agriculture; this latter was due to Ion Ionescu de la Brad, organizer of model farms, remarkable statistician and professor of agriculture, who, in 1841, obtained the first Romanian champagne. As early as 1835, SPN initiated the first group scientific expeditions to explore flora, fauna, minerals, hydrologic and spa resources of Moldavia (Slănic Moldova spa resort was also scientifically analyzed). SPN supported pioneering geological (Repedea) and archaeological (Cucuteni) studies. It also contributed to the establishment of the first medical-military institutions, such as hospitals (1831) and a scientific association. SPN purchased a telescope in order to set up the first astronomical observatory (1850). It strove for national emancipation and Union of the Principalities (1859) and was directly involved in the foundation of pre-university and university institutions, including the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine in Iași (1879). Concurrently it stimulated the use of the Romanian language in science. SPN supported the medicalization process of the country, stimulating sanitary organisation, Western European type of medical and pharmaceutical assistance and health education. In the SPN history, the appearance of the first medical-pharmaceutical, economic and agricultural popularization publications in Romanian edited by a scientific society can be considered one of its most important achievements. The first attempts date back to 1844 illustrated by “The Advisor of Health and Economics. Periodical leaflet for the Romanian People” (Povățuitorul sănătății și a economiei. Foaie periodică pentru poporul românesc), followed, in 1851, by the „Leaflet of the Society of Physicians and Naturalists of the Principality of Moldavia” (Foaia Societății de Medici și Naturaliști din Principatul Moldovei), both under the direction of Dr. Costache Vârnav. Since 1859, The Society of Physicians and Naturalists of the Principality of Moldavia turned into The Society of Physicians and Naturalists of Iași, being integrated into the young State of the United Principalities.
2. Ivan A. Grigore Teodorovici (1922-1992). The creator of the Iași School of Epidemiology in E. Târcoveanu, V. Scripcariu (eds), Founders of prestige, Iași: Publishing House “Gr. T. Popa” - UMF Iași, 2019, volume I, 278-280.
3. *** In memoriam, Supplement dedicated to the memory Prof. Dr. Doc. Grigore Teodorovici, Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iaşi 2002; 106(1, Suppl. 1): 7-30.
4. Bădărau Gh, Ciurea D, Pirozynski T, Teodorovici Gr, The Society of Physicians and Naturalists of Iași on its 150th Anniversary (1830-1980). Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iaşi 1980; 84(4): 601-611.
5. Teodorovici Gr, Baran T, Mihăescu T. Concerns and traditions of the Iași medical school reflected in the pages of Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 1993; 97(1): 511-513.
6. Baran D. Society of Physicians and Naturalists Iași – 1830. The first European Academy of the national spirit, 2nd edition, Iași: Publishing House “Gr. T. Popa” - UMF Iași, 2019, 40, 56, 308-313.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form