IMAGE RECONSTRUCTION IN CARDIAC SPECT IMAGE PROCESSING
Aim: The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of two reconstruction techniques of myocardial perfusion images (MPI) in cardiac patients considered at low risk for myocardial perfusion abnormalities. Materials and methods: We evaluated 36 patients (10 males, 26 females; median age 61 years) with rest MPI studies by comparing their myocardial SPECT images reconstructed using two different algorithms. All patients underwent myocardial SPECT imaging with 99m Tc Tetrofosmin at rest, using a Symbia Evo Excel SPECT or a Siemens e.cam dual head system. SPECT images were reconstructed using filtered back projection method, and an iterative reconstruction method using the 3D Flash algorithm. For the quantitative evaluation of the reconstructed images by two methods, the contrast, contrast to noise ratio and signal to noise ratio were calculated. Using a standard template of coronary artery distribution and the polar map displays, the summed rest scores (SRS) were calculated according to the standard coronary artery distribution. Results: 3D Flash reconstruction algorithm significantly increases image contrast by 31% (p < 0.005). There were significant differences between FBP and 3D FLASH reconstruction in reducing the perfusion artifacts in right coronary artery (RCA) territories. Summed Rest Score (SRS) showed a significant decrease by 64 % (p<0.01) between the long-established FBP reconstruction and 3D Flash algorithm. Conclusions: 3D Flash-based reconstruction showed a significant improvement in image contrast and a decrease in many artifacts at the level of the inferior wall.
2. Hendel RC, Berman DS, Di Carli MF, Heidenreich PA, Henkin, RE et al. ACCF/ASNC/ACR/AHA/ASE/SCCT/SCMR/SNM 2009 appropriate use criteria for cardiac radionuclide imaging: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, the American College of Radiology, the American Heart Association, the American Society of Echocardiography, the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, and the Society of Nuclear Medicine: endorsed by the American College of Emergency Physicians. Circulation 119 2009; e561-e587.
3. van Dijk JD, Jager PL, Ottervanger JP, Slump CH, de Boer J, Oostdijk AH, et al. Minimizing patient-specific tracer dose in myocardial perfusion imaging using CZT SPECT. J Nucl Med Technol 2015; 43 (1): 36-40.
4. Gimelli A, Bottai M, Genovesi D, Giorgetti A, Di Martino F, Marzullo P. High diagnostic accuracy of low-dose gated-SPECT with solid-state ultrafast detectors: preliminary clinical results. Eur J Nucl Med Molec Imag 2012; 39(1): 83-90.
5. Crișu D. et al. Stratificarea riscului de aritmii ventriculare maligne şi moarte subită cardiacă post infarct miocardic acut. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2010; 114 (1): 13-19.
6. Costache II, Alexandrescu DM, Cimpoeşu D, Petriş OR, Petriş AO. Hyponatremia - risk factor in patients with chronic heart failure - clinical, evolutive and therapeutic implications. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2014; 118 (2): 315-319.
7. Pazhenkottil AP, Ghadri JR, Nkoulou RN, Wolfrum M, Buechel RR, et al. Improved outcome prediction by SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging after CT attenuation correction. J Nucl Med 2011; 52: 196-200.
8. Nichols, K. J., Tronco, G. G., Palestro, C. J. Effect of reconstruction algorithms on the accuracy of 99mTc sestamibi SPECT/CT parathyroid imaging. Am J Nucl Med Molec Imag 2015; 5(2): 195-203.
9. Palyo R, Sinusas A, Liu YH. High-Sensitivity and High-Resolution SPECT/CT Systems Provide Substantial Dose Reduction without Compromising Quantitative Precision for Assessment of Myo-cardial Perfusion or Function. J Nucl Med 2016; 893-899.
10. Stansfield EC, Sheehy N, Zurakowski D, Vija AH, Fahey FH, et al. Pediatric 99mTc-MDP bone SPECT with ordered subset expectation maximization iterative reconstruction with isotropic 3D reso-lution recovery. Radiology 2010; 257: 793-801.
11. Zeintl J, Vija AH, Yahil A, Hornegger J, Kuwert T. Quantitative accuracy of clinical 99mTc SPECT/CT using ordered-subset expectation maximization with 3-dimensional resolution recovery, attenuation, and scatter correction. J Nucl Med 2010; 51: 921-928.
12. Hussain N, Parker MW, Henzlova MJ, Duvall WL. Stress-first Myocardial Perfusion Imaging. Cardiol Clin. 2016; 34 (1): 59-67.
13. Celler A, Shcherbinin S, Hughes T. An investigation of potential sources of artifacts in PECT-CT myocardial perfusion studies. J Nucl Cardiol 2010; 17: 232-246.
14. Javadi MS, Lautamäki R, Merrill J, Voicu C, Epley W, et al. Definition of vascular territories on myocardial perfusion images by integration with true coronary anatomy: a hybrid PET/CT analysis. J Nucl Med 2010; 51: 198-203.
15. Brambilla M, Cannillo B, Dominietto M, Leva L, Secco C, et al. Characterization of ordered-subsets expectation maximization with 3D postreconstruction Gauss filtering and comparison with filtered backprojection in 99mTc SPECT. Ann Nucl Med 2005; 19: 75-82.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form