INTERNAL FIXATION WITH HANSSON TWIN HOOK FOR TROCHANTERIC FRACTURES
Hansson Twin Hook was recently developed as an alternative to the classical Dynamic Hip Screw. In the present study we aimed at presenting our results obtained by using the HTH in the treatment of trochanteric fractures. Materials and methods: Over a 2-year interval, 55 patients with trochanteric fractures were treated by reduction and internal fixation using HTH system. According to the AO fracture classification, we recorded 21 cases of 31.A1 fractures and 34 cases of 31.A2 fractures. Results: Clinical assessment at 3 months postoperatively using Merle D'Aubignier scale showed very good results in 41 (82%) patients, good in 7 (14%) patients and poor in 2 (4%) patients (two patients presented fixation failure). In these 2 patients, surgical reintervention was performed -implant removal and its replacement with a Dynamic Condylar Screw with good results at 3 months follow-up. Conclusions: Osteosynthesis with Hansson Twin Hook is a good choice in trochanteric fractures. Since it is a new developed implant, more studies are necessary for clinical validation of its value.
2. Bhandari M, Devereaux PJ, Swiontkowski MF et al. Internal fixation compared with arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85(A9): 1673-1681.
3. Saarenpää I, Heikkinen T, Ristiniemi J, et al. Functional comparison of the dynamic hip screw and the Gamma locking nail in trochanteric hip fractures: a matched-pair study of 268 patients. Int Orthop 2009; 33(1): 255-260.
4. Olsson O. Alternative techniques in trochanteric hip fracture surgery.Clinical and biomechanical studies on the Medoff sliding plate and the Twin hook. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 2000; 295: 1-31.
5. Olsson O, Ceder L, Lunsjö K, Hauggaard A. Extracapsular hip fractures: fixation with a twin hook or a lag screw? Int Orthop 2000; 24(5): 249-255.
6. Olsson O, Tanner KE, Ceder L, Ryd L. A biomechanical study on fixation stability with twin hook or lag screw in artificial cancellous bone. Int Orthop 2002; 26(6): 349-355.
7. Alexa O, Cozma T, Cionca D, Puha B. Hansson Twin Hook - a new implant technique in trochanteric fractures. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2006; 110(1): 161-166.
8. Baumgaertner MR, Curtin SL, Lindskog DM, Keggi JM. The value of the tip-apex distance in pre-dicting failure of fixation of peritrochanteric fractures of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1995; 77(7): 1058-1064.
9. Hagino T, Ochiai S, Wako M et al. Twin hook fixation for proximal femoral fractures. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2008; 16(2): 162-164.
10. Olséen P, Jonsson B, Ceder L et al. The Hansson Twin Hook is adequate for fixation of trochanteric fractures: 2 fixation failures in a series of 157 prospectively followed patients. Acta Orthop 2008; 79(5): 602-608.
11. Roerdink WH, Aalsma AM, Nijenbanning G, van Walsum AD. The dynamic locking blade plate, a new implant for intracapsular hip fractures: biomechanical comparison with the sliding hip screw and Twin Hook. Injury 2009; 40(3): 283-287.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form