MULTIDISCIPLINARY MANAGEMENT OF COMPLEX BALLISTIC CERVICAL TRAUMA. CASE REPORT
Accidental explosion of a projectile in peacetime is very rare. Ballistic trauma can be fatal or cause long-term consequences. Cervical trauma is associated with comminuted bone fracture, dilacerations of muscle fibers, vascular and nerve compression with or without complex lesions of the upper aerodigestive and respiratory tract. It is a rare situation that a projectile fragment passes through the face and neck without damaging vital structures. Considering the multiple lesional aspects, especially at the level of the cervical area where there are many vital visceral structures, a concise clinical, laboratory and multidisciplinary assessment is required to ensure the therapeutic success. We present such a case from our experience managed with a multidisciplinary team approach.
2. Teixeira F, Menegozzo CA, Netto SD, et al. Safety in selective surgical exploration in penetrating neck trauma. World J Emerg Surg 2016; 11: 32.
3. Sasindran V, Joseph A. Management of penetrating zone II neck injuries. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009; 61: 313-316.
4. Suhas G, Gyanendra SM, Pankaj K. Gunshot Injury in the Neck with an Atypical Bullet Trajectory. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2011; 10(1): 80-84.
5. Krausz AA, Krausz MM, Picetti E. Maxillofacial and neck trauma: a damage control approach. World J Emerg Surg 2015; 10: 31.
6. Dekker AP, El-Sawy AH, Rejali DS. An unusual trans orbital penetrating injury and principles of management. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr 2014; 7(4): 310-312.
7. Severin F, Cobzeanu MD, Vesa D, Cobzeanu MB. Management of complex cervical trauma-case report. E-Health and Bioengineering Conference (EHB), 2015.
8. Turliuc DM, Costan VV, Cucu AI, Costea CF. Intraorbital foreign body. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2015; 119(1): 179-184.
9. Dobrin I, Dobrin N, Poeata I, Ianovici N. Statistical data on head trauma with frontal sinus involvement at the Emergency Hospital Clinic “Prof. Dr. Nicolae Oblu”, Iaşi, Romania. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2011; 115(4): 1131-1136.
10. Molina DK, Rulon JJ, Wallace EI. The atypical entrance wound: differential diagnosis and discussion of an unusual cause. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2012; 33(3): 250-252.
11. Stefanopoulos PK, Filippakis K, Soupiou OT, Pazarakiotis VC. Wound ballistics of firearm-related injuries-part 1: missile characteristics and mechanisms of soft tissue wounding. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 43(12): 1445-1458.
12. Hanna TN, Shuaib W, Han T, Mehta A, Khosa F. Firearms, bullets, and wound ballistics: an imaging primer. Injury 2015; 46(7): 1186-1196.
13. Bolliger SA, Eggert S, Thali MJ. Wound Ballistics – a Brief Overview. Praxis 2016; 105(3):133-137.
14. Wang W, Duan J, Wang Q, Kuang W. Complex reconstruction of facial deformity and function after severe gunshot injury: one case report. Int J Clin Exp Med 2015; 8(1): 1427-1433.
15. Braun TL, Maricevich RS. Soft Tissue Management in Facial Trauma. Semin Plast Surg 2017; 31(2): 73-79.
16. Lichte P, Oberbeck R, Binnebösel M, Wildenauer R, Pape HC, Kobbe P. A civilian perspective on ballistic trauma and gunshot injuries. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 2010; 18: 35.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form