OUTCOMES OF PULMONARY REHABILITATION IN SEVERE PULMONARY HYPERTENSION – CASE REPORT
Chronic pulmonary artery hypertension (CPAH) is characterized by progressive increase in vascular resistance and pulmonary artery pressure, leading to right heart failure and death. Diagnosis algorithm is complex, and the underlying cause often remains undefined. We present the case of a 74-year-old male patient, whose diagnosis was disputed for several months between cardiologists and pulmonologists, being eventually diagnosed with severe pulmonary hypertension and hypoxemic respiratory failure of chronic thromboembolic etiology intricate with diffuse interstitial lung disease. The new therapeutic approach with riociguat failed and the treatment was stopped, then the patient addressed Iasi Pulmonary Rehabilitation Clinic for an inpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program, comprising functional assessment, nutritional and psychological counseling, mild inspiratory muscle training sessions, low workload endurance exercise, followed by relaxation and appropriate breathing techniques. After two weeks, oxygen saturation, shortness of breath, fatigue, sleep, anxiety and depression symptoms had improved while 6-minute walk test distance did not change significantly.
2. Ouatu A, Tanase DM, Floria M, Ionescu SD, Ambarus V, Arsenescu-Georgescu C. Chronic kidnez disease: Prognostic marker of nonfatal pulmonary thromboembolism. Anatol J Cardiol 2015; 15(11): 938-943. Doi: 10.5152/akd.2014.5739.
3. Macovei L, Presura RM, Arsenescu Georgescu C. Systemic or local thrombolysis in high-risk pulmonary embolism. Cardiol J 2015; 22(4): 467-474.
4. Grecu M, Floria M, Georgescu CA. Abnormal atrioventricular node conduction and atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia in patient older versus younger than 65 years of age. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2000; 32 (Suppl. 1): S98-100.
5. Sahni S, Capozzi B, Iftikhar A, Sgouras V, Ojrzanowski M, Talwar A. Pulmonary rehabilitation and exercise in pulmonary arterial hypertension: An underutilized intervention. J Exerc Rehabil 2015; 11(2): 74-79.
6. Postolache P, Cojocaru DC. Pulmonary Rehabilitation - from Guidelines to Practice. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat, Iasi 2013, 117(2): 380-387.
7. Postolache P. Reabilitarea pulmonară în România. Med Market-Pneumologie 2015; 12-14.
8. Postolache P, Pop CS, Nemes RM, Nitu FM. Pulmonary Rehabilitation in COPD. Archives of the Balkan Medical Union 2015, 50(2): 262-267.
9. Jimborean G, Ianoși ES, Croitoru A, Szasz S, Postolache P. Respiratory muscle training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pneumologia 2017; 66(3): 128-130.
10. McLaughlin VV, Humberg M. Pulmonary Hypertension. In: Braunwald’s Heart Disease. A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine 10th Ed, Elsevier Saunders 2015, 1682-1702.
11. McLaughlin VV, Archer SL, Badesch DB, et al: ACCF/AHA 2009 expert consensus document on pulmonary hypertension. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Expert Consensus Documents and the American Heart Association developed in collaboration with the American College of Chest Physicians; American Thoracic Society, Inc.; and the Pulmonary Hypertension Association. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53:1573.
12. Smith ZR, Makowski CT, Awdish RL. Treatment of patients with chronic thrombo-embolic pulmonary hypertension: focus on riociguat. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2016; 12: 957-964.
13. Ghofrani HA, Galie N, Grimminger F, Grunig E, Humbert M, Jing ZC et al. Riociguat for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension. NEJM 2013; 369: 330-340.
14. Makowski CT, Rissmiller RW, Bullington WM. Riociguat: a novel new drug for treatment of pulmonary hypertension. Pharmacotherapy 2015; 35(5):5 02-519.
15. Weinstein AA, Chin LMK, Keyser RE, Kennedy M, Nathan SD, Woolstenhulme JG et al. Effect of aerobic exercise training on fatigue and physical activity in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Respir Med 2013; 107: 778–784.
16. Chan L, Chin LMK, Kennedy M, et al. Benefits of Intensive Treadmill Exercise Training on Cardiorespiratory Function and Quality of Life in Patients with Pulmonary Hypertension. Chest 2013; 143(2): 333-343.
17. Pandey A, Garg S, Khunger M, Garg S, Kumbhani DJ, Chin KM, Berry JD. Efficacy and Safety of Exercise Training in Chronic Pulmonary Hypertension: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Circulation: Heart Failure 2015; 8(6): 1032-1043.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form