THE USE OF TITANIUM MESH IN FACIAL CONTOUR RECONSTRUCTION
Bone defects following trauma, or the radical resection of facial tumors are often associated with the loss of soft tissue support. The objectives of facial reconstructive surgery should not only be the restoration of the defect, but also the aesthetic and functional craniofacial rehabilitation with the restoration of facial symmetry. Aim: The purpose of this study is to assess the practicality of titanium mesh panels for reconstructing the craniofacial skeleton. Material and methods: Between January 2015 and December 2017 the authors used titanium mesh for a number of 26 patients in 20 trauma-related cases and six cases of post-ablative defects when titanium mesh was covered using loco-regional flaps. Results: All the facial dimensions were restored. None of the titanium meshes was exposed postoperatively. Conclusions: Titanium mesh has proven to be a useful material for the reconstruction of the craniofacial skeleton, capable of providing a true individualized treatment.
2. Eskander A, Kang SY, Teknos TN, Old MO. Advances in midface reconstruction: beyond the recon-structive ladder. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017; 25(5):422-430.
3. Raines AL, Olivares-Navarrete R, Wieland M, Cochran DL, Schwartz Z, Boyan BD. Regulation of angiogenesis during osseointegration by titanium surface microstructure and energy. Biomaterials. 2010; 31(18):4909-4917.
4. Ciurcanu OE, Mareci D, Stefanescu OM, Trinca LC, Scutariu MM, Ilie M, Hritcu LD. Electrochemical Behaviour of TiMoNb Alloys in Hanks Balanced Salt Solution with Addition of Aminoacids Infusion Solution. Revista de Chimie. 2016; 67(10): 2095-2099.
5. Cui J, Chen L, Guan X, Ye L, Wang H, Liu L. Surgical planning, three-dimensional model surgery and preshaped implants in treatment of bilateral craniomaxillofacial post-traumatic deformities. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72(6): 1138.e1-14.
6. Forna N, Cimpoesu N, Scutariu MM, Forna D, Mocanu C. Study of the electro-corrosion resistance of titanium alloys used in implantology. E-Health and Bioengineering Conference (EHB), Published: 2011, p1-4. ISBN: 978-1-4577-0292-1.
7. Ma J, Ma L, Wang Z, Zhu X, Wang W. The use of 3D-printed titanium mesh tray in treating complex comminuted mandibular fractures: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96(27):7250.e1-5.
8. Dai J, Shen G, Yuan H, Zhang W, Shen S, Shi J. Titanium Mesh Shaping and Fixation for the Treat-ment of Comminuted Mandibular Fractures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74(2):337.e1-337.e11.
9. Turliuc DM, Costan VV, Cucu AI, Costea CF. Intraorbital foreign body. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2015; 119(1):179-184.
10. Sulea D, Cracana A, Costan VV, Popescu E. The value of 3-D imaging in the diagnosis and preopera-tive planning of fractures of the zygomatic complex. Romanian J Oral Rehabilit. 2017; 9(1):75-81.
11. Mast G, Ehrenfeld M, Cornelius CP, Tasman AJ, Litschel R. Maxillofacial Fractures: Midface and Internal Orbit-Part II: Principles and Surgical Treatment. Facial Plast Surg. 2015; 31(4):357-367.
12. Frâncu LL, Hînganu D, Hînganu MV. Anatomical evidence regarding the existence of sustentaculum facies. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2013; 54(3 Suppl): 757–761.
13. Hînganu MV, Stan CI, Ţaranu T, Hînganu D. Morphological changes in support mechanism of super-ficial face layers in Moebius syndrome. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2017; 58(3): 851- 855.
14. Costan VV, Popescu E, Sulea D, Stratulat IS. A New Indication for Barbed Threads: Static Reanima-tion of the Paralyzed Face. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017. pii: S0278-2391(17)31018-2. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.07.176.
15. Drochioi C, Costan VV, Zaharia M, Boisteanu O, Sandu IG, Earar K, Popescu E. FT-IR Characteriza-tion of Some Biological Materials Used in Reconstructive Surgery. Revista de Chimie 2015; 66(9): 1302-1305.
16. Sakat MS, Kilic K, Altas E, Gozeler MS, Ucuncu H. Comminuted Frontal Sinus Fracture Recon-structed with Titanium Mesh. J Craniofac Surg. 2016; 27(2): e207-208.
17. Agop Forna D, Şulea D, Costan VV, Popescu E. Conventional maxillary reconstruction using service obturators. Romanian J Oral Rehabilit. 2016; 8(3): 1-8.
18. Costan VV, Popescu E, Stratulat SI. A new approach to aesthetic maxillofacial surgery: surgical treatment of unilateral exophthalmos due to maxillary sinus mucocele. J Craniofac Surg. 2013; 24(3): 914-916.
19. Yao WC, Sedaghat AR, Yadav P, Fay A, Metson R. Orbital Decompression in the Endoscopic Age: The Modified Inferomedial Orbital Strut. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2016; 154(5):963-969.
20. Costan V, Costan R, Bogdanici C, Moisii L, Popescu E, Vulpoi C, Mogos V, Branisteanu D. Surgery for Graves' ophthalmopathy: when and what for? The experience of Iasi. Acta Endocrinologica 2012; 8(4): 575-586.
21. Costan VV, Preda C, Bogdanici C, Trandafir D, Costan R, Vicol C, Moisii L, Zbranca E, Voroneanu M. Surgical treatment in graves ophthalmopathy - case report. Acta Endocrinologica. 2008; 4(3): 345-352.
22. Levine JP, Patel A, Saadeh PB, Hirsch DL. Computer-aided design and manufacturing in cranio-maxillofacial surgery: the new state of the art. J Craniofac Surg 2012; 23: 288-293.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
The copyright form will be signed by the corresponding author.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form