AESTHETIC CONSIDERATIONS IN THE RECONSTRUCTION OF ORBITO-ZYGOMATIC FRACTURES
Aim: The purpose of this study is to present our experience regarding the aesthetic and functional reconstruction of zygomatic bone fractures. Material and methods: We retrospectively reviewed the medical charts of 19 patients diagnosed with orbito-zygomatic fractures needing surgical reduction and fixation, in between January 2016 and January 2018. Two of the patients presented late with cosmetic and functional sequelae of fracture malunion. A two-point fixation was performed in most cases. Titanium mesh was used in four comminuted fractures at the level of the zygomato-alveolar crest and for the reconstruction of orbito-zygomatic fracture sequelae. Reconstruction of the orbital floor was performed in five cases. Results: No significant complications were recorded. Good aesthetic outcomes were obtained in all cases regarding the reconstruction of the orbital walls and the restoration of facial symmetry. Because of the accurate anatomic reconstruction, functionality was resumed postoperatively, with diplopia resolving immediately after surgery and in only one case during the three weeks following the procedure. Conclusions: The most important aspect regarding the immediate restoration of facial symmetry in fractures of the zygomatic complex is the repositioning of the zygomatic prominence by ensuring adequate fixation and support at the level of the zygomato-alveolar crest. The restoration of the contour and volume of the orbital area is also important regarding facial aesthetics and with repercussions regarding functionality. The three-dimensional reconstruction of CT (computed tomography) images in complex cases helps understanding the fracture pattern, reduction pathway and selecting the most accurate fixation method.
2. Bonavolontà P, Dell'aversana Orabona G, Abbate V, Vaira LA, Lo Faro C, Petrocelli M, Attanasi F, De Riu G, Iaconetta G, Califano L. The epidemiological analysis of maxillofacial fractures in Italy: The experience of a single tertiary center with 1720 patients. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2017; 45(8): 1319-1326.
3. Park S, Kim do H, Kim T, Lee TS. The Mini-Zygoma Reduction Surgery: A Simple and Reliable Approach for Mid-Face Narrowing. J Craniofac Surg. 2016; 27(5): 1298-1301.
4. Birgfeld CB, Mundinger GS, Gruss JS. Evidence-Based Medicine: Evaluation and Treatment of Zygoma Fractures. Plast Reconstr Surg 2017; 139(1):168e-180e.
5. Ellstrom CL, Evans GR. Evidence-based medicine: zygoma fractures. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013; 132(6): 1649-1657.
6. Sulea D, Cracana A, Costan VV, Popescu E. The value of 3-D imaging in the diagnosis and preopera-tive planning of fractures of the zygomatic complex. Romanian J Oral Rehabilit. 2017; 9(1): 75-81.
7. Toriumi M, Nagasao T, Itamiya T, Shimizu Y, Yasudo H, Sakamoto Y, Ogata H, Kishi K. 3-D analysis of dislocation in zygoma fractures. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2014; 42(5): 397-402.
8. Turliuc DM, Costan VV, Cucu AI, Costea CF. Intraorbital foreign body. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2015; 119(1):179-184.
9. Costan VV, Popescu E, Stratulat SI. A new approach to aesthetic maxillofacial surgery: surgical treatment of unilateral exophthalmos due to maxillary sinus mucocele. J Craniofac Surg 2013; 24(3): 914-916.
10. Ji SY, Kim SS, Kim MH, Yang WS. Surgical Methods of Zygomaticomaxillary Complex Fracture. Arch Craniofac Surg. 2016; 17(4): 206-210.
11. Scutariu MM, Surdu A, Macovei G. Contributions to recognition of some particularities of the lingual mucosa conditions. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi, 2015; 119(4): 1147-1152.
12. Scutariu MM, Ciurcanu OE, Forna DA, Forna NC. Importance of dental maxillofacial aesthetics in dental therapy. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat. 2016; 120(4):926-931.
13. Shim HS, Seo BF, Rha EY, Byeon JH. Endotine Midface for Soft Tissue Suspension in Zygoma Fracture. J Craniofac Surg. 2015; 26(6): e496-500.
14. Costan VV, Popescu E, Sulea D, Stratulat IS. A New Indication for Barbed Threads: Static Reanima-tion of the Paralyzed Face. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017. pii: S0278-2391(17)31018-2. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.07.176.
15. Drochioi C, Costan VV, Zaharia M, Boisteanu O, Sandu IG, Earar K, Popescu E. FT-IR Characteriza-tion of Some Biological Materials Used in Reconstructive Surgery. Revista de Chimie 2015; 66(9): 1302-1305.
16. Pallua N, Baroncini A, Alharbi Z, Stromps JP. Improvement of facial scar appearance and microcir-culation by autologous lipofilling. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2014; 67(8):1033-1037.
17. Kim JH, Lee JH, Hong SM, Park CH. The effectiveness of 1-point fixation for zygomaticomaxillary complex fractures. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 138(9):828-832.
18. Kunz C, Audigé L, Cornelius CP, Buitrago-Téllez CH, Rudderman R, Prein J. The Comprehensive AOCMF Classification System: Orbital Fractures - Level 3 Tutorial.
19. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2014; 7(Suppl 1): S092-102.
20. Costan V, Costan R, Bogdanici C, Moisii L, Popescu E, Vulpoi C, Mogos V, Branisteanu D. Surgery for Graves' ophthalmopathy: when and what for? The experience of Iasi. Acta Endocrinologica. 2012; 8(4): 575-586.
21. Costan VV, Preda C, Bogdanici C, Trandafir D, Costan R, Vicol C, Moisii L, Zbranca E, Voroneanu M. Surgical treatment in graves ophthalmopathy - case report. Acta Endocrinologica. 2008; 4(3): 345-352.
22. Yao WC, Sedaghat AR, Yadav P, Fay A, Metson R. Orbital Decompression in the Endoscopic Age: The Modified Inferomedial Orbital Strut. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016; 154(5): 963-969.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
The copyright form will be signed by the corresponding author.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form