FACTORS INFLUENCING THE LEVEL OF DEPRESSION AMONG FRESHMAN NURSING STUDENTS
Aim: To identify the level of depression among nursing students and the factors that influence it. Material and methods: A group of 89 nursing students were included in the research. Socio-demographic data (age, sex, marital status, and experience as a nurse) and four instruments were used (The Beck Depression Inventory, Eysenck Personality Inventory, The Maslach Burnout Inventory and The Job Satisfaction Scale) to identify the level of depression, burnout, the personality traits, job satisfaction scores and the relationship between the considered variables. Data have been processed using SPSS 17. Results and discussion: Almost 20% of first-year nursing students have symptoms of depression, ranging from mild to severe. Significant statistical correlations were identified between depression and age, experience as a nurse, emotional exhaustion, introversion, emotional instability and job satisfaction. Conclusions: Melancholic individuals are more prone to depression than other temperaments. The more emotionally exhausted individuals are, the higher their chances are of developing depression. Emotional instability is increasing the risks of depression.
2. Xu Y et al. Prevalence and correlates of depression among college nursing students in China. Nurse education today 2014; 34 (6): e7-e12.
3. Moreira DP. & Furegato ARF. Stress and depression among students of the last semester in two nursing courses. Revista latino-americana de enfermagem 2013; 21(SPE): 155-162.
4. Zoccolillo M et al. Depression among medical students. J Affect Disord, 1986, 11(1): 91-96.
5. Kulsoom B. & Afsar NA. Stress, anxiety, and depression among medical students in a multiethnic setting. Neuropsychiatric Dis Treat 2015; 11: 1713-1722.
6. Iorga M et al. Burnout syndrome among public ambulance staff. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat 2015; 119(4): 1128-1132.
7. Iorga M et al. The burnout syndrome of forensic pathologists. The influence of personality traits, job satisfaction and environmental factors. Rom J Legal Med 2016; 24(4): 325-332.
8. Beck AT et al. Manual for the Beck Depression Inventory-II. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corpo-ration, 1996
9. Eysenck HJ. & Eysenck SGB. The Eysenck Personality Inventory, British J Educational Studies 1965; 14(1): 140-140.
10. Maslach C. & Jackson S. The Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual, 2nd ed. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA, 1986.
11. Stoica-Constantin A. & Constantin T. Conflict, Change, and Organizational Health. Iasi: Editura Universității Alexandru Ioan Cuza, 2009.
12. Bostanci M et al. Depressive symptomatology among university students in Denizli, Turkey: prevalence and sociodemographic correlates. Croatian Med J 2005; 46(1): 96-100.
13. Bayram N. & Bilgel N. The prevalence and sociodemographic correlations of depression, anxiety and stress among a group of university students. Social Psychiatry Psychiatric Epidemiol 2008; 43(8): 667-672.
14. Sarokhani D et al. Prevalence of Depression among University Students: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Study. Depression Res Treat, 2013, vol. 2013, Article ID 373857, 7 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/373857.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form