THE EFFECT OF PIOGLITAZONE ON NON-PREGNANT FEMALE GENITAL TRACT IN EXPERIMENTAL DIABETES MELLITUS
Aim: The effects of pioglitazone, a very used drug in the treatment of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, were tested at the level of ovary of non-pregnant female rats. Material and methods: The experiment was performed on three groups of adult non-pregnant female rats. group 1 was a control group (and did not receive any substance), group 2 received streptozotocin 60mg/kg i.p. (single administration), and group 3 received streptozotocin 60 mg/kg i.p. (single administration) and pioglitazone 5 mg/kg/day p.o., daily for 8 weeks. The plasma glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels were determined before drugs administration and during the experiment. After 8 weeks the animals were anesthetized and sacrificed. The ovaries were examined by optical microscopy. A morphometric evaluation was performed. The obtained data were statistically interpreted by ANOVA test. Results: After 8 weeks of treatment the plasma glucose and triglyceride levels were significantly lower in the pioglitazone treated group compared to the streptozotocin only group. In the pioglitazone group the number of primordial and primary ovarian follicles was significantly higher than in streptozotocin only group. Conclusions: The results showed a partial protective action of pioglitazone on ovary in non-pregnant diabetic female rats.
2. Güney M. Selenium-vitamin E combination modulates endometrial lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Biol Trace Elem Res 2012; 149(2): 234-240.
3. Haeri MR, Limaki HK, White CJ, White KN. Non-insulin dependent anti-diabetic activity of (2S, 3R, 4S) 4-hydroxyisoleucine of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) in streptozotocin-induced type I diabetic rats. Phytomed. 2012; 19(7): 571-574.
4. Cam MC, Faun J, McNeill JH. Concentration-dependent glucose-lowering effects of oral vanadyl are maintained following treatment withdrawal in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Metabolism. 1995; 44(3): 332-339.
5. Kamalakkannan N, Stanely M, Prince P. Rutin improves the antioxidant status in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat tissues. Moll Cel Biochem 2006; 293(1-2): 211-219.
6. Yau H, Rivera K, Lomonaco R, Cusi K. The future of thiazolidinedione therapy in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. CurrDiab Rep. 2013; 13(3): 329-341.
7. Jiang C, Ting AT, Seed B. PPAR-gamma agonists inhibits production of monocyte inflammatory cytokines. Nature.1998; 391(6662):82-86.
8. Bagi Z, Koller A, Kaley G. PPAR gamma activation, by reducing oxidative stress, increases NO bioavailability in coronary arterioles of mice with Type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004; 286(2): H742-748.
9. McKinnon B, Bersinger NA, Mueller MD Peroxisome proliferating activating receptor gamma-independent attenuation of interleukin 6 and interleukin 8 secretion from primary endometrial stromal cells by thiazolidinediones. Fertil Steril. 2012; 97:657-664.
10. Zhang XY, Xiao YQ, Zhang Y, Ye W. Protective effect of pioglitazone on retinal ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54 (6): 3912-21
11. Moezi L, Heidari R, Amirghofran Z, Nekooeian AA, Monabati A, Dehpour AR. Enhanced anti-ulcer effect of pioglitazone on gastric ulcers in cirrhotic rats: the role of nitric oxide and IL-1β. Pharmacol Rep. 2013; 65(1): 134-143.
12. Masoad RE, Ewais MM, Tawfik MK, Abd El-All HS. Effect of mononuclear cells versus pioglitazone on streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathy in rats. Pharmacol Rep. 2012; 64(5): 1223-1233.
13. Morgenweck J, Griggs RB, Donahue RR, Zadina JE, Taylor BK. PPAR γ activation blocks development and reduces established neuropathic pain in rats. Neuropharmacol. 2013; 70: 236-246.
14. FDA (Food and Drug Administration) 43 Reference ID 2983732 Pioglitazone (Actos) approval 1998
15. Shiju TM, Rajesh NG, Viswanathan P. Renoprotective effect of aged garlic extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2013; 45(1): 18-23.
16. Yuan GJ, Zhang ML, Gong ZJ. Effects of PPAR agonist pioglitazone on rat hepatic fibrosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2004; 10(7): 1047-1055.
17. Natali A, Ferrannini E. Effects of metformin and thiazolidinediones on suppression of hepatic glucose production and stimulation of glucose uptake in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 434–441.
18. Walter H, Lübben G. Potential role of oral thiazolidinedione therapy in preserving beta-cell function in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs. 2005; 65(1):1-13.
19. Defronzo RA, Mehta RJ, SchnureJJ. Pleiotropic effects of thiazolidinediones: implications for the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Hosp Pract 2013; 41(2): 132-147.
20. Yin QQ, Pei JJ, Xu S et al. Pioglitazone improves cognitive function via increasing insulin sensitivity and strengthening antioxidant defense system in fructose-drinking insulin resistance rats. PLoS One. 2013; 8: e59313.
21. Glintborg D, Hermann AP, Andersen M et al. Effect of pioglitazone on glucose metabolism and luteinizing hormone secretion in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2006; 86: 385-397.
22. Coffler MS, Patel K, Dahan MH, Yoo RY, Malcom PJ, Chang RJ Enhanced granulosa cell responsiveness to follicle-stimulating hormone during insulin infusion in women with polycystic ovary syndrome treated with pioglitazone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 5624-5631.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form